Overcoming resistance to convert to TFPC.

May 2, 2015
Sherwood, AR
This is my 7th season with pool, and I just found this TFPC method and community. Ive done a lot of reading here and due diligence. It makes sense and appeals to me.
I find myself resistant to change. My first season I came to realize pool store's regiment was unstable and incentive to perpetuate chemical sales seems obvious.
I sought the previous owner finding overall design elements of the home being acutely deliberate. Here I found a stable trichlor regiment, which seems lost to this community. Trichlor regiment w/chlorinator is balanced with aeration and backwashing. The irrigation system being programmed to closely replenish evaporation and backwash replenishment button clued me to find previous owner.
Problem that led me here is when I slip up and get algae bloom, I had no stable way to correct it. Second time it has happened by neglecting to start regiment.
TFPC is more simple, easier to understand, has community and is superior in regards to toxicity. However, I sense the increase demand on my attention will be daunting. Current regiment requires 15 minutes bi-weekly.
Water quality improvement interest me. I currently add a clarifier, maybe called ultra-bright. I like the way it makes the water smell and feel. Think I came across a concern with it here. Ironically, under certain infrequent conditions I find my water becomes too clear and the pool appears to be empty. Really it can be amusing as it really can be nerving to dive into it like that, then having to break the water to prove to small children it is really there.

27k gallons, 18x36, Chlorine, Vinyl

If your water chemestry is balanced and you have a recommended test kit then it won't take much.
Test your PH and FC 1 time a day add if needed. Takes 5 mins.
Run all tests once a week.

Easy peasy. You don't need the clarifier for your water to sparkle.

I to found it hard to switch because I live a very busy life style but knowing that my pool is SANITIZED & SAFE for my 1 year old son makes it very easy to fine 10mins out of my day to make sure the pool is safe! And honestly if you keep good notes you will learn what the pool wants and needs even without testing it. I sampled mine Wednesday, Thursday and Friday i added what i thought it needed based off of past results and weather conditions and then sampled again Saturday to find it was perfect!

FYI i have been on this site for less than 2 months.

The notes i keep are
Time Sampled
Pool Temp
pH
FC
CC
TC
TA
CH
CYA
I then write what i added based off of the above results & if it was very sunny or if it was over cast all day or if it rained.

Wayne

I to found it hard to switch because I live a very busy life style but knowing that my pool is SANITIZED & SAFE for my 1 year old son makes it very easy to fine 10mins out of my day to make sure the pool is safe! And honestly if you keep good notes you will learn what the pool wants and needs even without testing it. I sampled mine Wednesday, Thursday and Friday i added what i thought it needed based off of past results and weather conditions and then sampled again Saturday to find it was perfect!

FYI i have been on this site for less than 2 months.
Wayne

Excellent testimony. Thanks for sharing Wayne. :goodjob:

I can tell you that I spend less time managing the pool using the TFP process. Yes, we are big on testing the water. But in return, if you follow our process, you do not get algae, you are not "shocking" your pool every week, you are not adding clarifiers, algaecides, and phosphate removers. I also keep a log of one day's test results per week. That's enough to give me a seasonal trend as well as enable me to get to know my pool. It gets easier each year you follow this process.

Welcome GI Chuck,
TFP method may seem daunting and time consuming but it isnt. As with anything new, there is a learning curve which makes most folks anxious, including me!
After the 1st couple weeks though, the light bulb usually comes on and you say, "wow, I get it". It really could not be easier.

Thanks. I keep a log of my test.
Led me to another momentary concern. My log also contains what I put in. The numbers started to suggest high variation of concentration in each jug of bleach. However, I later realized that the 2oz bottle of R-0870 wasn't making consistent drops. I since transfered some to .75 dropper. Also realized jug variation wouldn't be earth shattering. Thinking I will give it a try.
I've met 2 people in my area that claim they only add phosfree, no chlorine. I dont understand that, and find it bizarre.

Thanks. I keep a log of my test.
Led me to another momentary concern. My log also contains what I put in. The numbers started to suggest high variation of concentration in each jug of bleach. However, I later realized that the 2oz bottle of R-0870 wasn't making consistent drops. I since transfered some to .75 dropper. Also realized jug variation wouldn't be earth shattering. Thinking I will give it a try.
I've met 2 people in my area that claim they only add phosfree, no chlorine. I dont understand that, and find it bizarre.

I don't understand that either, but their pools aren't very unsanitary. Any pathogen from fecal matter, urine or other source is swimming around in those pools waiting to infect someone. Besides keeping Algae away, it is critically important that a pool be sanitized. Phosphate remover is not made for that purpose.

I don't believe I would be swimming in those pools thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.