Spillway surface ideas

tw25

May 1, 2015
sacramento ca
Do you have any ideas of what we can use to update this spillway other than using the same tile as the waterline tile? We looked into granite but that seems like a huge slip hazard and we looked into slate wall cap but wasn't sold on that idea. We are resurfacing the pool and replacing the waterline tile to a light blue 6x6. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Spillway picture is below.

Below is the waterline tile and the mosaic is going in a 2 row strip along the steps

Last edited:
Ohhhhhh, I love that glass tile - beautiful! What about using the glass tile for the spillway surface?? It would be gorgeous, the 1x1s shouldn't be slippery (those are often used on shower floors), and it would be such a lovely tie-in with the steps.

Another suggestion is to look on Pinterest or similar sites. I found soooo many ideas there. On this forum, there's a thread showing many members' s pools all in one place. And of course Google for ideas.

Back to the glass tile - that gets my vote! Have fun shopping! Take care. Suz.

Your pool and deck is gorgeous Appelbe. Thanks for sharing your picture. I like how the mosaic on your steps and spillway tie together the look. I think we are sold on mosaic now! Can you share where you got your mosaic tile from? Thanks again!

Thank you! Appelbe do you think your mosaic colors would go with my waterline tile selection? or is the lagoon more of a green blue? Thanks again!

I've looked at Appelbe's pool pictures on his thread over and over again. I think it is some of the prettiest glass tile out there.

I'm getting the LightStreams glass tile. I love it, but it is expensive. It is $35 a square foot, and it does take about 3-4 weeks before shipping; then another week to ship. LightStreams is fantastic to work with - I ordered from the designer/owner and his brother. They also have minimum order requirements. Now..... on the color I wanted, they happened to have a different sized tile (1.5x 2") in stock and ready to ship, and he was willing to sell that to me without the minimum order requirement. They had a couple of colors I loved. But I became addicted and wanted MORE, MORE, MORE, so I had to wait for more to be made. Let me know if you want to go that route, and I can give you names, etc. Here's their website: * Lightstreams Glass Tile | Exquisite Glass Tile Manufactured in the USA Home Page

Now, with all that said.... If I had seen Appelbe's pool before I ordered the LightStreams, I would have used the same as his, loved it just as much, and saved enough money to build an outdoor shower or two!!!

Have fun dreaming, shopping, and choosing! Take care. Suz. :salut:

- - - Updated - - -

ComputerGuy: Oops! My apologies! I just saw you had already included the website to LightStreams. I need to pay better attention!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TW25:

It's an iridescent glass tile. The color changes depending on the light, and each tile has a different color reflection resulting in a mosaic look. It's really gorgeous when the sun shines on them.
It would be best to visit a few tile places and see some examples for yourself. Take your waterline tile selection with you and put them side by side. Don't forget to take the samples outside in the sunlight!
Good luck. We would love to see pictures of your renovation!

Tw25: You didn't ask, but..... I'm going to tell you the problem I had finding a blue tile to go with the glass tile I wanted. I worked on that for weeks, even getting others on TFP to vote for their favorite. Our pool designer had told me from the beginning to go with a neutral or beige waterline tile, but I wouldn't let go of using blue waterline tile. I couldn't find a blue tile that complemented the glass tile or didn't out-do it.

When appelbe posted his pool build, I knew I loved it. Finally, it hit me that his lovely beige tile was the perfect answer (to me) to work with and show off his glass tile. Once I let go of the blue tile idea, I made my decisions in one day for all my tile/stone. Now, I love the beige waterline tile on our pool, especially with the coping. (you can click on my pool build link in my signature)

So think about using a tile for the waterline that goes with your coping/decking. Then there is no conflict between the glass tile and waterline tile. If you want more color, maybe there are steps elsewhere in the pool where you can trim with the glass tile.

I'm not saying you won't find the perfect blue waterline tile to go with whatever glass tile you choose. But if you get stuck like I did, try a more neutral waterline tile.

What helped me decide on which glass tile was setting it outside in the sunlight on the edge of our pool. I left it out there for days and looked at it from the back windows during all different times of the day, sunny and cloudy. That helped me more than a brief look outside. Hope this helps. Take care. Suz.

ComputerguyinNOLA - Thanks for sending the link - those are some beautiful mosaics I enjoyed that site very much. Unfortunately we have to have our tile completed in the next 2 weeks.

SuzfromTexas - Thank you for your insight on the blue tile vs mosaic dilemma that I am currently having :) I think I'm getting stuck. I don't know if we are ready to let go of the blue waterline yet, but we have to come up with a plan in the next day or so, so maybe we will give up on it soon enough ;) Our decking is exposed aggregate so it has some multi color rocks and I don't know if a light color will go with the decks colors. gah too many decisions

Thanks everyone for your help!

I went back and we found the Arctic Lagoon sample. It does not match the blue waterline tile we originally selected, but it looks nice with the light tan color. I think the Arctic Lagoon sample looks more "rich" than the other blue mosaic that is the bottom picture. Which one do you guys think?

I vote for the top samples: the Arctic lagoon glass and beige 6x6.

To me the blue 6x6 tile looks old like the red tile currently on the pool. But it's hard to tell on different devices and screens. Take care! Suz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.