Summer escape pump died

Hi, New to site with first post.

So as one would expect my summer escape pump died after about 3months of use. So now I need to upgrade a little earlier than I was planning.

I have a summer escape 3500 gallon pool. I want to upgrade to a nice sand pump that won't cost a ton. My local pool store says I need a Hayward for over five hundred (not going to happen) and I am leaning toward an intex. Any tips or recommendations?

Second part is once I pick a pump some people show just using a conversion kit to make it fit. Others drill out the skimmer on the up stream and cut the vinyl on the down stream to increase the diameter so it can fit without conversion kits. Again, tips and suggestions.

I love my sand filter listed in my signature. I cut larger holes in my pool and installed the 1.5" inlet and return. You can go with adapter. They are b adapters and can be purchased on Amazon

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to TFP!

The Intex sandfilter that Azgirl has is probably the best bang for the buck out there, I think they sell for around $140 on Amazon. Sure the Hayward is much nicer, but the Intex is good enough for a small pool like yours. Of course you may have to improvise connectors for the Intex plumbing

Awesome, Thank you boths.

This is the one I believe you are talking about: http://smile.amazon.com/Intex-Kryst...sr=8-1&keywords=Krystal+Clear+2800+GPH+.75+HP

To Convert I plan on following this how to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alUEtP2Nq9E&index=6&list=PL2r7dV6qx65XSJ25Rz1Wv1i34adiliMRr

If you guys feel I am making something more difficult then I need to or you feel you have a suggestion to make this concept better please let me know. I am very excited I found this site and look forward to reading the information within.

Thank you both again for the quick and quality help.

Dane

Yes, that is the filter I have. When you buy sand make sure it is 20# silica sand. Buy 2 bags, 1 is not enough. Remember to backwash tour sand really well and rinse it before you change it to Filter mode.

This thread may help you too. I used it to cut my holes for the larger fittings

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/64388-Cutting-Larger-Intake-amp-Return-holes-in-your-Intex

I bought 2 of these and just unscrewed the eyeball off of 1 for the inlet.

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Large-I...4&keywords=large+intex+pool+strainer+assembly

Really useful links, thank you.

I'm not sure what else I need to purchase to make this happen. Just the pump and the two inlets (probably attach the inlets to the hose with a C-clamp)? Anything else? I notice most people have some kind of cut off valves next to the inlet and outlet, not sure exactly. I think the pump only comes with hoses.

Really useful links, thank you.

I'm not sure what else I need to purchase to make this happen. Just the pump and the two inlets (probably attach the inlets to the hose with a C-clamp)? Anything else? I notice most people have some kind of cut off valves next to the inlet and outlet, not sure exactly. I think the pump only comes with hoses.

If you install the larger inlet and return you won't need hose clamps. The hoses that come with the sand filter screw right onto them. I ordered 2 extra gaskets for the inlet and outlet so I could have a gasket inside and outside.
Those are plunger valves. You can add them, but Intex is out of stock right now. The other option is to build your own shut off valve using a ball joint lever (cannot remember what they are called). You get them at Home Depot in the plumbing dept. I don't know how to adapt them , but there are threads on making them.

Found this: Amazon.com : Set of 2 Intex Large Pool Plunger Valves w/ Pool Fittings (Includes 2 Plunger Valves, 1 Fitting w/ Strainer Garden

Price seems a little crazy but it actually seems to be the best price I can find for the parts. pretty crazy that these parts cost almost as much as the pump and filter...

Since we've been talking I am getting Krystal Clear 2800 GPH .75 HP, Set of 2 Intex Large Pool Plunger Valves w/ Pool Fittings (Includes 2 Plunger Valves, 1 Fitting w/ Strainer & 1 Fitting w/ Directional Return), and two extra Intex Replacement Wall Fitting Flat Rubber Gasket Washer, and two bags of silica #20 (guy at the store is recommending zeosand??). So out the door about $280-300 depending on type of sand. About $100 more than I was hoping to spend, mainly due to the cost of the hardware. Anyways, I think I've got it figured out. Now I just need to do it. Thanks again for all your help. I will keep you posted and update as I advance.

Links to all my stuff:
Amazon.com : Set of 2 Intex Large Pool Plunger Valves w/ Pool Fittings (Includes 2 Plunger Valves, 1 Fitting w/ Strainer Garden

Amazon.com : Intex Replacement Wall Fitting Flat Rubber Gasket Washer : Pools, Hot Tubs Garden

Amazon.com: Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 110-120 Volt with GFCI, 2800 Gallon: Patio, Lawn Garden

I think what you found is perfect. Yes pricey. Don't use the zeo. When I went to get my sand I almost got Zeo and the guy at the pool store who is honest said that he does not recommend it. It is expensive and when he tried it that it did not work nearly how he expected and went back to pool sand.

- - - Updated - - -

The plunger valves on Intex are $6.95 each, but rarely in stock.

- - - Updated - - -

Plunger Valve (Include 5f-11 And 06nf-05) - Intex

So I should have all the parts by June 1st and will be installing June 2nd. One little question about chlorine tabs; now that my filter with the little built in basket is gone should I just drop a 3" into the debris catcher basket inside the skimmer? I bought a floaty bobber thing but it tends to get pulled into the skimmer opening and block water flow. This new pump I think has a reservoir built into it, should I put the tabs there? Silly question but I'm so green I don't mind asking :).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just have dip-n-read test kit strips. Plan on getting a better recommended kit once these are gone. I have to use well water so my water is really hard and alkaline. Im pretty much just trying to drop the base and keep chlorine at about 5. I really haven't put in the time to understand water testing and chemicals/alternative control methods due to being in RN program. This I plan on doing once I find time but for now; strips, drop the base, keep chlorine around 5 (moderate purple :)).

Bleach, hmmmm. I really need to find time to read chemical section on this site. Lot to learn but just trying to make it work for now.

I have everything ordered for the pump and should be installing Sunday if shipping estimates are correct. I picked up 10% liquid chlorine (4gallons for $16) and 2 gallons of muriatic acid for $12. Just from testing it from strips I know my PH is really high and my water is really hard/alkaline.

You guys and reading this site have convinced me to go ahead and order the TF100. I don't really understand the FAS/DPD thing yet but I'm sure it is light. Leslie pool guys tried to tell me all I needed was strips and to bring my water in every two weeks for the rest. Then they tried to sell me the K-2005 when I showed interest in a bigger kit yesterday and they said it has everything I'd need (not according to TFP is what I wanted to say). Then they tried to sell me Phosphate something or other because that's what bacteria eat, I'm so happy for this site other wise I'd be at their mercy.

Once I get my test kit I will post my results. I will also post my step by step pump retrofit work as well.

Most helpful and kind forum for any topic I have come across, amazing.

Once you get the hang of the whole testing thing, you will spend less time on your pool than it takes to go to the pool store and have them test your water. You will be amazed at how nice your water looks when you switch to the sand filter AND the TFP way of chlorinating. Also consider, as long as you are consistant, you won't have to worry about clearing the algae they comes up when following the pool store method.

So the conversion went great!!!! I keep trying to upload the JPG but the site isn't letting me for some reason. Thank you all for your recommendations and support. I wish I could get the pictures on here to show you guys, I'm kinda proud of my work. This pump is day and night amazing!!! Everyone should do this!!! Can you all tell I am excited :) .

The TF100 should be here by Wednesday and I am looking forward to that. Really actually annoying not being able to know what my water is doing other than a basic test strip. Though the water clarity is so much better after running the new pump for 4 hours.

Haven't found a better way to vacuum it other than the cheap vencherie water hose method. I tried a hose attached to skimmer attachment but didn't really work all that great. Any thoughts? Also when adding chemicals should I put pump on circulate for a few hours and not run it through the medium? If anyone can help me load my pictures that be cool.

I'm also in the process of upgrading my pump and I bought the same one as you and need to by plunger valves. I plan on cutting the bottom of the skimmer but was wondering are you putting the fitting with strainer in the skimmer? I'm thinking of getting this one Amazon.com : On / Off Plunger Valve with Strainer for Easy Set, Frame Set Garden but can I use the strainer part inside the pool?

I would suggest using the stuff in my links, it turned out perfectly. I would recommend the two extra gaskets and lube them up with petroleum jelly. I had a little leak but that stopped it.

No reason I see the one in your link wouldn't work but I know my links do work and work good. To answer your question, yes the strainer fit perfectly in the bottom of the skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.