When is baking soda not baking soda (aka, tell me how badly I messed this up)

May 24, 2015
Florida
So far, I've been doing a bit of reading and thought I had the basics figured out. It appears that arm and hammer washing soda is soda ash and possibly not baking soda? I'm still unsure. Anyhow...

Pool is very new, 10,000gal IG pebbletec SWG. This morning I tested as follows:

TH 500
TC 5
FC 5
PH ~8
TA 40
Cya 100

I couldn't find MA so I grabbed some dry acid, cya to have on hand. I couldn't find any baking soda at home depot, so I headed home, added some acid and tried to find in which box our baking soda is. It wasn't, so I went to the store and got what thought was baking soda. I didn't recall the quantity I needed so I grabbed a 55oz box. Turns out the quantity required was 75 oz. So I dumped the entire 55oz box in, as my wife asks if its supposed to be that cloudy.

Two hours later, it hasn't cleared up and I decided to test again this time getting a better TA of 60, but the ph is on the high side of the 8.4 that the test strip allows.

I also have since realized that what I bought was soda ash, and may or may not be baking soda. I don't have a test kit yet, as were just getting moved into a new house with a new pool.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

-Loring

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Baking Soda is Sodium Bi-Carbonate, while Washing Soda is Sodium Carbonate. The latter will do more for your pH on the increase when that is what you need. Baking Soda will increase the TA, without as much boost for the pH.

With that said, why are you adding these things, and where are you getting those numbers from? One of our basics is testing your own water with a proper test kit. Are you using a kit, or having the water tested?

As I mentioned, I'm using the test strips that "came with" the pool. I'll be ordering a proper test kit on Tuesday. We've only been in the house about 3 days and this will be my first pool.

I added the baking soda because I thought it was baking soda. Since I'm clearly making rookie mistakes at this point, I'm asking before I do anything else, even if it's as obvious as adding acid.

Thanks again. :)

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Wait for your test kit to get in and you can post good numbers.

Meanwhile keep chlorine in the pool with daily small additions.....maybe a quart or so.

Please post your pool info in your sig Pool size, type, etc.

As I mentioned, I'm using the test strips that "came with" the pool. I'll be ordering a proper test kit on Tuesday. We've only been in the house about 3 days and this will be my first pool.

I added the baking soda because I thought it was baking soda. Since I'm clearly making rookie mistakes at this point, I'm asking before I do anything else, even if it's as obvious as adding acid.

No worries, you're taking the right steps already then trying to figure this out. Glad you found us, and we'll be here to help when you're ready. If you are willing to learn, there will be plenty of us here to help you. :goodjob:

Patrick, thanks for the warm welcome. I've been told I'm a sponge for knowledge, and am always happy to learn about something that I've previously been in the dark about. That said, I've read quite a few threads where you guys and gals have helped resurrect pools from murky swamp status and I figure my learning curve is probably more concerning to me than it is to the resident experts.

Should I put some acid in this thing or just tell the kids to go to the neighborhood pool for the day?

Also, the cloudiness seems to be subsiding. I presume this will continue?

Welcome to TFP! You are on the right track now. Finding us, asking questions, test kit planned, NOT doing anything without asking first LOL.

It will get easier the more you do it.

You are really going to need to get the test kit before we can tell you what needs to be done. The strips really should not be allowed to be sold. They are that bad.

On your pool info can you please list your filter size and kind?

We also love pics so................

Keep putting in about a qt of bleach each day and letting the pump run. THat will keep you ahead of the algae monster until you test kit gets there.

Kim

Patrick, thanks for the warm welcome. I've been told I'm a sponge for knowledge, and am always happy to learn about something that I've previously been in the dark about. That said, I've read quite a few threads where you guys and gals have helped resurrect pools from murky swamp status and I figure my learning curve is probably more concerning to me than it is to the resident experts.

Should I put some acid in this thing or just tell the kids to go to the neighborhood pool for the day?

Also, the cloudiness seems to be subsiding. I presume this will continue?

It may subside more, but its a total guess by any of us. I would tell the kids to go elsewhere. You never want them in a murky pool. If you cant see clearly to the deep end in any pool, never let them in. Someone could be under the water and not be seen, and or, it could be full of pathogens and CC which you don't want anyone exposed too.

And unfortunately, we don't advise on strips or even pool store testing because we see how far off they are time and again. Some of us have been burned trying to do that, and its just best not to trust it. You'd think at least that the store would have it right, but sadly they don't much of the time.

If you are really concerned the pH might be high, you can go somewhere and purchase a basic OTO/pH test kit. Test the pH with that and adjust slowly using pool math. It will be duplication having it, but that is an option that wouldn't set you back more than 12 or so bucks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alright, basic test kit shows ph above 8.4. I'm curious how long it takes for the dry acid to fully saturate. Even though its a pretty big jump, apparently, I'm adding small amounts at a time, several hours apart.

I'll get some good pictures soon for you guys. :)

Yes, I suppose it is. To rephrase to perhaps a better question, how long until I should wait after adding the acid before it shows up accurately on a test? When adding, I'm sprinkling it as I walk halfway around the pool at the deep end. If there's a small amount left, I carefully 'throw' it into the center of the deep end (if that makes sense).

Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.