Help with pump

If it's the capacitor, that should be an easy fix. If it turns out to be the windings in the motor, you may be looking at a new motor - I would get a price for fixing vs. replacement just to have the facts, though. If you do get a new motor, I would replace it with one of the same Service Factor HP (SFHP) rating if you will be using the same pump (the wet end) with a new motor. Also, replace the shaft seal if you get a new motor.

This article has more info on pumps and further explains the SFHP rating: Pump Basics

It is a bit big, I would suggest swapping out the single speed motor for a 2 speed, should cost under $400, maybe under $350 mail order. Best thing about swapping motors is it can usually be done without disconnecting any plumbing, only 8 bolts to deal with plus the wiring.

I need either a new motor or get a new pump. What's the better route? I have a hayward Super pump 1.5HP. Can I replace just the motor with either a 2 speed or variable speed motor? If a new pump should I get a VS or 2 speed? What I'm looking for is quiet and energy efficient. If I get a VS can I set it to the lowest speed 24/7 and will it cost less and will it cycle the water or too slow?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
your first post said whining and the last one said humming. The former indicates it is running and may have a bad bearing. Humming is either a bad start cap, bad centrifugal switch on the end of the motor or a jammed up impeller. Does the impeller turn free by hand?

I'm sorry it's a humming and doesn't start. I replaced the capacitor and same issue. How do I test the centrifugal switch and what does it look like? I will see if the impeller turns freely by hand. If it does or does not what does it mean? Thank you.

If it's humming it might be jammed with debris.

remove the motor from the pump with the power off and see if you can turn the impeller.

mine hummed once during winter and somehow a clump of pine needles was the cause.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.