Agp plumbing question

giltyler

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Argyle, TX
We will soon have a 21' above ground installed and I want to be sure the plumbing plan I have is good.
I bought 6 of these for $50 shipped to use throughout since they are a on/off valve plus union http://www.amazon.com/89653-Precision-Threaded-Female-Socket/dp/B0032JSQ6G
My pump and filter is 1-1/5 HP 22" sand filter 520-1700 22″ Sand Filter – 1.5 HP Center Discharge Pump 2.5 sq. ft. 50 GPM 24,000 – 30,000 150 3 ft. NEMA
We also will use a Chlorinator http://www.sunplay.com/king-technology-perform-max-920-01-05-0920

The equipment will be 5-6 feet from the pool on a small slab I will pour and my electrician will run a dedicated GFCI plug to the site.
Will 1/1/2" SCH 40 hard PVC be large enough
I want them under ground to keep the area around the pool neat.

I had thought of keeping my old 1HP 19" set-up but after looking around at what comes in most pool equipment packages decided to buy new 1.5 HP set up It was on sale online for $334.00 delivered to my door.
My old pump brought $250 on CL so I am starting with all new pool filter and pump

I'm not an AGP person and my pump knowledge is limited, but wouldn't a 2-speed pump be more ideal since sand filters work better at lower speeds? You can use the low speed for everyday turnover and filtration and then kick it up to high speed as-needed for vacuuming. A 2-speed pump will also save you money in the long run by cutting down the electrical cost.

I'm an in ground pool owner and I love that I can run my variable speed pump on low when all I need is water turnover.

I wish I would have done this research before I bought the pump and filter system.
It is going to be a few weeks until the pool gets installed so it may be time to list it on CL and see if I can get out of it without too big of a hit and buy a 2 speed.
It is just the pump that is my weak link not the sand filter part correct?

We ran the 1HP pump all last summer and really did not notice a big jump in electricity cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.