Please Help with My First Trouble Free Attempt

May 24, 2015
rising sun, md
Hello! I have really enjoyed reading this site over the last week. So many knowlegeable and just as importantly, helpful people!

Last summer was our first with a pool. i relied on the pool store and i can't count the bags of shock I went through.

I am looking forward to using the methods desscribed here.

pooled the cover off 2 weeks ago. Pea green, lots of leaves, lots of worms and lots of water under my cover unfortunately which froze and cracked lots of tiles. And my loving son decided to put the pump in the water and drained about 1/3 of the water before I caught it. pictures coming soon.

Hopefully tile repair today and a water delivery Tuesday....which might be a good thing to replace some of my shocked water.

I have a taylor 2006 test kit which i will use after the water delivery.

Anything I should do while waiting besides brush and use leaf vacuum? I am home all week and I plan to devote lots of time to the pool. We are having a party for my daughter's soccer team next Sunday and we are really hoping to have the pool open.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Welcome to TFP. Keep brushing and getting anything out of the water you can until your test kit arrives.
Keep reading through pool school. Especially the SLAM process and ABC's of pool water Chemestry.

You could add 2 ppm a day of chlorine/bleach for now just so you know you have some FC in there.

can you update your signature in settings with your pool and equipment info?

Thanks Lisa!

I will be home tomorrow and I will provide more detailed info in my signature.

Well we kow what they say about the best laid plans. Looks like I won't be able to get get the tiles repaired this week. Really wanted to get that done while the water level as low. Would it cause too much damage if I waited until the end ofnthe season to repair the tiles?

Thanks.

Thank you Patrick and Lisa!

Work got in the way for a bit, but I am back and ready to go.

I tested 2 weeks ago..had no chlorine, no cya, ph of 7.0, TA of 140.

Backwashed, put DE in skimmer, put stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer, poured the recommended amount of bleach...thought I was on my way!

Squeezed the sock constantly. Checked the skimmer the next day and all the powder was all caked under my skimmer basket! No suction in either skimmer...ugh! Then got tied up with work, so had to take a break form the pool.

Turns out I put handle on the pump for the skimmer on backwards. Another pool lesson learned!

Backwash again!

at 4:00, FC of 5.4 and ph of 7.0

Added necessary bleach and borax per pool calculator. Brushed and vacuumed. Will test and adjust this evening...won't be back until around 10.

I have pics to post later. Enjoying this adventure so far!

Live and learn. Believe me that most of us have made quite a few mistakes. We just use is a learning experience!

Keep up the FC with bleach and it will clear!

Too bad about the tiles. I do not know if you need to get them fixed right away.

Kim

Thanks Kim!

I am hoping to be around the house for the net few days and focus on the pool.

Here are my numbers this morning:
FC 5.2
CC 0.8
PH 7.4
TA 160
CH 110
CYA 40

I am shocked I had chlorine in the pool. I put in 4 gallons yesterday at 8 am, knowing we would be gone ALL DAY (think long and hard about putting your kids in track..the meets are endless..just block out 12 hours of your Saturday)

Definitely see signs of improvement! Brown dead algae on my steps and floating in the pool. Will brush/vacuum and add bleach/chlorine per pool calculator.

Backwashed last week. Considering another one? Pressure is 19. Pool papers previous owner left me say normal pressure is 16 and backwash at 26. Last summer pressure never got to 26. Backwashed once. At end of summer filter in tank was filled with green slime when pool guys came to close pool. Not sure I should trust the numbers? Gauge is 2 years old.

Will be back in a couple hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Kim! Gauge goes down to 0. I will play with the knob on it.

Here are pics from this morning. Will test in a little bit

fef5538350671731036485c626c50b98.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1433694619455.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Thanks Duraleigh. I will backwash it now.

Kim, I love your optimism!

I went to the pool store for DE for the backwash. I took some water to let them test to see any big differences. They measured my CYA at 10 and the printout says recommended range is 20-150!! I love that i actually know what these numbers mean now. Thanks TFP!! I will retest the CYA...my test said 40 this morning. Want to make sure I did it right.

I don't test for metals. Their test says my copper and iron a high. We have well water, so that is a strong possibility. They suggested Keetrol to reduce the metals and said the high metals may be causing the green color in my pool? Does this sound right?.

Still SLAMMING!!! Not losing much Chlorine at all today so far. Could be because it is cloudy. FC was at 14 at 3:00.

Will test again. After the backwash.

Thanks Duraleigh...I backwashed and some nice green stuff came flowing out.

My pressure is now 14.

Kim, thanks again. Will read up on the metals some more tonight. I definitely have the green water. Perfectly clear when I dip for testing though!

FC was at 10. Only lost 7 ppm all day. Will test one more time tonight.

when the sun was setting I could actually see the bottom of the pool in the shallow end! Of course it looked like it was growing fur with all the dead algae down there.

Vaccumed, but it was a slow go. Tile and grout pieces kept clogging the vacuum. I wish the leaf vas was strong enough to pick those up.

More bleach, more scrubbing, more vacuuming and more backwashing based on all the stuff I ca see on the bottom of the pool now! Will post an updated pic tomorrow.

Tdeuce, keep up the good work on the slam!

Once you've passed the overnight chlorine loss test, down to .5 cc, and the water is clear but maybe a litte tinted from the metals you can then add Metal Magic or Jack's Magic to sequester any remaining metals. But wait til all else is normal, as they don't work well at high FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.