Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taming the yard beast

1. Back To Top    #1

Taming the yard beast

Here be the results of first use of my TF100. Am I the only one whose "pool stores" have never mentioned CYA concentration being to high? <I really don't need an answer for that> If overstabilization results in increased chlorine demand/use, then my boys over there must be milking a cash cow with their granular shock/tablets recommendations.

Based only on what I have learned here in a few short days, my best guess is that the first thing I need to do is start dumping water, perhaps as much as 50% of the beasts volume, and that I should start using liquid chlorine to sanitize. Last 'shock" with three cups of granular chlorine was three days ago, and the floater always has contained 3" tabs which are used at a rate of a bit more than one per day. Advice on what to-do first would be greatly appreciated.

FC 7
    CC 1
    TC 8
    pH 7.2
    T/A 160
    CH 450
    CYA 100

Assuming that I "waste" 50% of the pool's volume, how much liquid chlorine should I add after refill is complete?
    20K gal gunite, plaster in poor condition post Katrina
    1.0 or 1.5 hp primary pump
    Polaris 280 and Polaris pump
    Her name is: Free To Good Home :wave:

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taming the yard beast

It sounds like you hav already been doing your homework

Your CYA, TA, and CH levels are all high. Replacing water will help lower all three of them so that is a great first step.

Assuming you lower CYA to 60, you want to maintain FC between 5 and 9, and never below 5.

In 22K gallons it takes just under 3 quarts of 6% bleach to raise FC by 2. You can use my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature, to calculate the amount of bleach you need for some other change in FC level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I just wanted to chime in to say Welcome! and I love your use of "yard beast"....

Sounds like you have a handle on things. Good luck, let us know if you need any other advice...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome critterdoc

Good luck at taming the "beast"
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    It sounds like you hav already been doing your homework

Your CYA, TA, and CH levels are all high. Replacing water will help lower all three of them so that is a great first step.

Assuming you lower CYA to 60, you want to maintain FC between 5 and 9, and never below 5.

In 22K gallons it takes just under 3 quarts of 6% bleach to raise FC by 2. You can use my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature, to calculate the amount of bleach you need for some other change in FC level.
    'K...pumped that baby down to less than 50% full , refilled, and added 12% liquid chlorine which resulted in:
    FC 22
    CC 0
    TC 22
    pH 7.4-7.6
    T/A TBD
    CH 250
    CYA 40-45

Is there any way of predicting the rate at which the shock level of 22 ppm FC will degrade in moderately cool sunny SE Louisiana? I'm not quite sure what to do now except monitor and do what you guys tell me to do!

Am I correct in assuming that I should again add Cl at a target Cl point of 6-7? How high should I take it if the CC stays at zero, or, if/when CC starts to rise?

Do pools purr??? I am amazed at how good she looks today.
    20K gal gunite, plaster in poor condition post Katrina
    1.0 or 1.5 hp primary pump
    Polaris 280 and Polaris pump
    Her name is: Free To Good Home :wave:

6. Back To Top    #6

With CYA around 40-45 you want to maintain FC at 3 to 8, and never below 3. 6 or 7 is probably a good place to aim for to start and you can then adjust from there depending on what the FC level is the next day.

On a reasonably sunny day you should lose between 30% and 65% of your FC level to sunlight. The actual loss depends greatly on how much direct sunlight actually falls on the pool.

If you are consistent with your FC level, the CC level should never go above 0.5. If CC does go above 0.5 it is time to shock the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School