Bleach with SWG?

dubele

Jun 17, 2013
Southeast Pennsylvania
If I want to get my FC level up, can I use bleach even though I have a SWG? This year, I'm having trouble "shocking" my pool with my SWG. This pool just started its second year. Last year, I could easily raise my level by turning my SWG to 50% production and it would take maybe 4 hours. I've had my SWG at 100% the last few days and yesterday it tested FC of only 1. Last year, I did have a mineral cartridge, so maybe that helped? Anyway, can I add bleach to raise FC instead of using the SWG?

You can always augment with liquid chlorine if needed. I'm glad you abandoned the mineral packs. I think if you are slamming, I'd go all liquid until done and turn on the swg to maintain FC afterwards.

Yes, in fact it is highly encouraged to do that since it saves cell life and gives you an instant boost of FC instead of a gradual increase.

Sounds like you might have a failing cell or more likely something consuming your FC, would you mind posting a set of test results so we can offer an opinion of which it could be?

Correction on the FC and CC. I just tested. FC is at .6 and CC is at .2. This is frustrating.....I think my cell is failing and it is brand new. Maybe I should look at it and see if it needs cleaning. I have not ever cleaned it. Any advise here on that?? My manual says to dilute muriatic acid 1 part to 10 parts water and soak the cell for a period of time. Does this sound right?

Your CYA is a bit low for an SWG, it does cause the cell to work a bit harder because more FC is destroyed by sunlight. Other than that nothing too out of line except your FC of course.

To see if it is your cell you should perform an Overnight CL Loss Test. Shut off your SWG and bring yourself up to shock level using bleach (24 FC for you). If you pass then your cell is the problem and you can go down that path. If you fail then you have some growth and need to SLAM your pool. Remember, SLAM is a process, not just a short sharp shock.

I will perform that test, but how will that tell me anything about my cell? The test just tells me if my FC is being consumed overnight. Also, what do you suggest for a CYA level and how do you suggest I increase it?

I just added 18 oz of bleach that is 8.25%....that should get me to FC of 1.5

With a SWG you want your CYA to be 70-75.
I would wait to raise it just yet and perform the OLCT first. If you lose more than 1ppm overnight you should SLAM.

What you need to do right now is add enough bleach to target a level of 24 as Donaldson said.

1.5? why are you going only for 1.5?
Do you know the FC level you need to keep your Pool clean is dependenent on the CYA level?
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock.

I will perform that test, but how will that tell me anything about my cell? The test just tells me if my FC is being consumed overnight. Also, what do you suggest for a CYA level and how do you suggest I increase it?

I just added 18 oz of bleach that is 8.25%....that should get me to FC of 1.5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You said CYA was 55 correct? If so then SLAM level is 24

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a link to the chart.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock You fall in between CYA. At 24 this will help keep it at or above SLAM levels

Yes, I often use bleach to augment my chlorine level. Much easier and more precise. Sounds to me like you have algae consuming your chlorine.

Here is the Water Balance for a SWCG pool.

This Chlorine CYA Chart is the key to how to chlorinate your pool. Never let the FC level drop below the minimum for your CYA level or algae will start to grow.

I recommend SLAMing Your Pool

I had the same problem with my pool a week ago. Turned out it was algae and not the SWCG. The first indication of a problem was that I had to keep cranking up the SWCG and the FC never recovered to recommended levels. Algae was confirmed by the OCLT. I caught it early and the pool remained nice and clear throughout the SLAM. I'd bet your SWCG is fine but you won't know until after the OCLT. Make sure the SWCG is off during the OCLT.

I had the same problem with my pool a week ago. Turned out it was algae and not the SWCG. The first indication of a problem was that I had to keep cranking up the SWCG and the FC never recovered to recommended levels. Algae was confirmed by the OCLT. I caught it early and the pool remained nice and clear throughout the SLAM. I'd bet your SWCG is fine but you won't know until after the OCLT. Make sure the SWCG is off during the OCLT.

Nice post! :goodpost:

Same thing as robdac happened to me too; I suspected my SWCG, turned out to be algae...I'll admit that going thru the SLAM the first time was daunting...it really bugged me that I felt out of control...but all the advice here is sound. This process works.
And when you make it out on the other side (crystal water and all!) you'll have such a deeper understanding of your pool and how to maintain it...the TFP way!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.