New to forum ? for new pool startup

May 24, 2015
Keokuk/Iowa
Hello,

My name is Jason and I'm new here at TFP. I have just installed my new 33' round above ground pool and is still being filled, with my water source it will take a few days. Anyway I have learned a lot about maintaining my new pool the past several months but I do have a question at this time. Since it is taking so long to fill my pool should I add chlorine as it is filling? Seems to me the water will get stagnant and possibly grow algae if not treated. I have about 1 1/2' of water now and I have not balanced or treated any water yet.

Thanks,

Welcome to TFP! Before you receive advise on when to add checmicals, may I ask how you plan to check those levels? Do you have one of the recommended test kits (See my signature)? That will be critical to keeping your newly-filled pool clear and happy.

At this time I have an HTH 6 way test kit (drops). I have not tested anything out of the pool and was thinking about testing out of the tap just to see what I have. Just didn't know if I should do anything while it is filling or just wait until it is full. I have not even cut in my skimmer yet.

Welcome to the forum Jason!

Adding some bleach now would be a great idea, so you are thinking well ahead. I'd go with about 40oz of 8.25% right now as a good number with where you are. How long do you think it will take to fill? Pour it in very slowly, right where you are filling. Keep it way from the side, and it would be a good Idea to give a good brushing in that area to mix it all up. Do that, and try to distribute it in the pool where it will be well mixed. Do you have a kit like we suggest here? There are other balances you'll need to address as well.

EDIT:

You answered while I was replying, so I would suggest ordering a TF100 or K-2006 test kit straight away. You can clikc the links in my signature to read about, and order a proper kit. With that pool, you really need one.

I understand the importance of accurate testing nor am I new to it. I have multiple fish aquariums that have been running for over 15 years, an obsession that the wife is not always on my side,haha. I will certainly look into the products you are suggesting. So back to my ? do I wait until it is full for balancing and just add some chlorine while filling or try to do it all as it goes. Keep in mind my skimmer and pump are not installed yet. The way it is looking it may take 3 or so more days to fill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.