My first test results with K-2006 & K-1766 Salt

May 24, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
So I got tired of going to a pool store just to keep getting different numbers and being told what to buy. I returned the LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 that I bought because it had inaccurate results each time I ran a second test. I went with the Taylor K-2006 test kit from amazon since I wanted it right away and I also got the K-1766 for testing salt water. I placed an order for the Taylor speedstir but delivery is 2 weeks or so.

This is my first time as I'm still learning and can't wait for the speedstir as it will help greatly and will most likely give me accurate readings since I have shaky hands.

FC: 1.4
TCL: 0 (didn't turn pink for combine chlorine)
PH: 8.0
TA: 160
CH: 250
CYA: 30
Salt: 4,000 (ran test 2 times, is this high)
Pool Temp: 74

I'm trying to play/learn the pool calculator.

PH telling me to use muriatic acid (i have ph down).
3.9 oz dichlor
63 oz stabilizer

looking for advice, please keep in mind that this is all new to me and i'm still reading and learning. Thank You.

My first test results with K-2006 & K-1766 Salt

FC needs to be bumped up a little. Just use a little liquid chlorine to do that, then let your SWG maintain it. Ph down works, but muriatic acid is cheaper and easier. Make sure the poolmath parameters are set up with your chlorination method being swg. You do need more CYA since you are using a SWG. I would just use the pure CYA, not the dichlor. Your TCL reading should be CC. TCL is FC + CC. No need to list it. Just FC and CC. The salt isn't ridiculously high. Most swg's recommend 3000-4000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you aren't getting a high salt error on the SWG then don't worry about salt.

Here is the Water Balance for a SWCG pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to calculate how much to add.

CH is not that important in a vinyl pool.
Don't worry about TA right now, it will probably come down on its own.

The most important thing is to keep the chlorine level above minimum level for your CYA level at ALL times, Chlorine CYA Chart. When FC drops below min algae starts to grow.

Re: My first test results with K-2006 & K-1766 Salt

FC needs to be bumped up a little. Just use a little liquid chlorine to do that, then let your SWG maintain it. Ph down works, but muriatic acid is cheaper and easier. Make sure the poolmath parameters are set up with your chlorination method being swg. You do need more CYA since you are using a SWG. I would just use the pure CYA, not the dichlor. Your TCL reading should be CC. TCL is FC + CC. No need to list it. Just FC and CC. The salt isn't ridiculously high. Most swg's recommend 3000-4000.

Thank you for your advice. What is Pure CYA?

- - - Updated - - -

If you use pH down that you have on had to adjust, then pool math calls that dry acid. Weigh out the amount pool math says for Dry Acid Mix in a 5 gallon bucket until dissolved and then pour into the pool.

Thanks, this clears it up. I was trying to figure it out on the pool calculator.

- - - Updated - - -

If you aren't getting a high salt error on the SWG then don't worry about salt.

Here is the Water Balance for a SWCG pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to calculate how much to add.

CH is not that important in a vinyl pool.
Don't worry about TA right now, it will probably come down on its own.

The most important thing is to keep the chlorine level above minimum level for your CYA level at ALL times, Chlorine CYA Chart. When FC drops below min algae starts to grow.

Thanks for your advice it's helpful.

Dichlor is chlorine and CYA. Pure CYA is usually sold as stabilizer. You had dichlor listed as something that you were going to add. I assumed it was to raise chlorine and cya. I was just saying to use just the cya and not try to add it with dichlor.

Dichlor is chlorine and CYA. Pure CYA is usually sold as stabilizer. You had dichlor listed as something that you were going to add. I assumed it was to raise chlorine and cya. I was just saying to use just the cya and not try to add it with dichlor.

FC: 1.4 went to 4 by using the SWG for 6hrs. I tested it twice, is this possible? Then it did what it was supposed to without adding liquid chlorine?
CC: 0

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.