Who knows, who doesn't?

SCon36

Jul 2, 2014
Bedford, KY
Since last summer, I've been all in on the TFPC way of doing things. This year my pool looks great so far. There's only one problem. I can't stand to hear others talk about pool care now. I live in a neighborhood with several pools and several people I work with also have pools. I hear them talking about how they do their pools and I just want to stop them and fill them in on the secret. The problem is that they think what I'm doing is nuts. They've all been sucked in by the pool store and won't even consider what I talk about. I know there will come a time when CYA will be an issue and they may just start listening to me. Right now it's mineral packs, chlorine pucks, algaecide and test strips. If they only knew. I'd love to get some water samples of their pools and test them.

Ackkkk! Stop the madness! Welcome to the world of pool snobbery! :) I really don't like swimming in other people's pools. Most I will not, but there are a couple that I do, but I don't like it.

OMG! I know! It's crazy. They act like you are speaking another language if you talk to them about pool chemistry. They have their blinders and earplugs, and you just can't get through to them. It's enough to drive a person mad. I do finally have one convert; my mom. She got her test kit a couple days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have spoken to many family and friends about the TFPC Method and they think im crazy. The reply I hear the most is I don't have time for that. My next door neighbor is the only one that I have converted. He tells me every time I see him how he is jealous of how my pool looks. Today he came over to barrow some tools and told me when I get time he wants to get together and order a TF-100!

Wayne

I have spoken to many family and friends about the TFPC Method and they think im crazy. The reply I hear the most is I don't have time for that. My next door neighbor is the only one that I have converted. He tells me every time I see him how he is jealous of how my pool looks. Today he came over to barrow some tools and told me when I get time he wants to get together and order a TF-100!

Wayne

Nice. It really is surprising how lazy and complacent society has become. I don't hardly even have to do anything to my pool, especially with a swg. Once you get everything dialed in you really only have to test every 2-3 days. There really couldn't be any less work. Do these people think it's really easier to get a water sample, drive to the pool store, buy all the **** you can carry, dump it in, and do it all over again next week for a substandard pool experience? Then all the time they have to spend trying to fight cloudiness and algae, and taking extra samples in, and buying more magic potions.

No the sad thing is many feel all they need to do is toss in some trichlor pucks at random and never test anything, and as long as the pool is not completely green everything is good enough for the kids to splash around in it.

This is one problem with our methodology, no one believes it can be that simple. But it is. I normally am not this way, and the TFP :cop: may arrest me later, but I haven't tested since Wedsnesday. My pool is crystal and nary a spec of any problem save my pH will need some push down by today. I don't get problems because I don't let problems happen, but this takes so little effort if you just do some routine things. The most puzzling thing to me is WHY people just gravitate to the idea that pool care is some deep complicated mystery. It's the reason pool stores thrive. As much as we dog them it's only because people refuse to learn just a little basic stuff about pool care. Every one here winds up feeling the same way. You see, or hear about friends and neighbors going to the pool store and you pitty them as if they have some terrible affliction....Like they are some misfortunate victim. But the truth is they can cure it with just a little effort.

I have taken to the opinion that once I have told someone how I do it and they ignore me I am not liable. So now when my family members complain how hard it is to keep their pool clean and how the pool guy said "your pool is doing weird stuff again" I just sit and smile. Not my problem.

That quote, btw, is direct from my father on Facebook. Even after last year I turned his pool from pea soup to clear in a SINGLE DAY he still heads right to the pool store every Spring. After all, the pool guy has been in business for twenty years, he obviously knows more than I do. Sigh, it's like a junkie taking advice from his dealer. But like I said, at this point I just sit and smile, it's not my problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No the sad thing is many feel all they need to do is toss in some trichlor pucks at random and never test anything, and as long as the pool is not completely green everything is good enough for the kids to splash around in it.
Isaac, you are describing my friend that I converted last year to a T. Pucks and shock, plus he didn't even own a test kit. He hired someone to open/close each year and other than that pucks and shock.

I admit, his water was clear. Seeing that they are about 9 hours away I seldom swam in their pool. When I was there last year I did, and wow - my eyes were burning. I bought them a TF100 as a gift and was shocked. pH registered as 6.8 and four trips to WalMart for more 20 Mule Team Borax before I got the pH to really register on the test.

Every morning now he adds bleach and is amazed that it is this easy. He test chlorine & pH a few times a week and is very happy! He still uses a company to open and close, but left strict orders this year, no chemicals! He left two bottles of bleach on the pool deck and they added them when they opened a perfectly clear pool. He also took my advice, be the last pool they close for the season and the first they open.

I am actually dreading a pool party back home next month for this very reason. (Its about five hours away from where I live, so I'm not around for the day to day, plus this whole group lives is Canukistan, and ergo have trouble getting their hands on a good test kit.)

The host hubby had the pool built last year. Friends of ours who've been in our pool (and have one of their own) told him he should talk to me because I have the 'softest, clearest, cleanest water' they've ever seen.

So at a party last year, I had started to tell him about TFP and he quickly cut me off, saying he'd looked after a pool growing up, he knew exactly what to do, pucks were the way to go, etc. ;) He's not the type of guy I'd bother arguing with (so I didn't), but his wife is an old friend and I'd like to minimize hassle in her life. So I'm thinking maybe I'll give her a test kit for her birthday and see what happens ;)

At any rate, I'm hoping since he's only been open a year that his cya isn't off the charts yet!

I have a neighbor who said he only tests his pool twice a year and then only uses the test strips and lets the pool store open and close for him. I saw his pool last year and it looked extremely cloudy. I was talking about my pool that I was trying to get the SWG dialed in to get the FC around 4-5 and he told me that was very high and that his has almost no FC. I'd love to take a sample of his water.

Beyond telling pool owners I know about about these forums, I don't try to convert anyone to the TFP method....they just look at me like I'm crazy if I tell them about it......"...you put bleach in your pool?!?!..". No wonder they don't want to swim in our pool...hehehe.....and that's fine with me. ;)

What baffles me though is I have 3 neighbors who always comment how great our pool always looks and how much trouble they have with theirs, yet they still insist on following the pool store method. One neighbor got so frustrated she gave up and had her pool filled in!

Oh well, as was said here, not my problem.

"You can lead a horse to water....." ;)

I'm having a hard time thinking about the other pools in the neighborhood today. [emoji1]
d65e76e23b1f303b5d24b17548276246.jpg

Since last summer, I've been all in on the TFPC way of doing things. This year my pool looks great so far. There's only one problem. I can't stand to hear others talk about pool care now. I live in a neighborhood with several pools and several people I work with also have pools. I hear them talking about how they do their pools and I just want to stop them and fill them in on the secret. The problem is that they think what I'm doing is nuts. They've all been sucked in by the pool store and won't even consider what I talk about. I know there will come a time when CYA will be an issue and they may just start listening to me. Right now it's mineral packs, chlorine pucks, algaecide and test strips. If they only knew. I'd love to get some water samples of their pools and test them.
Compare notes on how much they spend on it annually, vs. what you spend. Nothing gets attention like dinero.

My neighbors are jealous of the clarity of my pool but won't relent as they are better informed as "relatives "own the local pool store. I told them I paid less than $50 all last year on MA and Bleach. They are into the $1000's! But - they are related to the ones that know about pool care! Not much of a family discount I guess. :sad::brickwall::hammer:

So what I wrote above I wrote while sitting around waiting to go to my brother's graduation (there is a significant age difference). Afterwards I was talking with my dad and he asked me where I get my liquid chlorine. He has been fighting his green pool while the pool store gave him the runaround, so he finally came to me. I just gave him some very basic advice, add this much at first then add another gallon every hour or two until it turns white. Very much not TFP, but it prevents me from having to go do it for him. Maybe if he sees it working he might start to believe. Or maybe not, but it is nice to get some acknowledgement. Who knows, maybe someday he will even visit the forum himself. Stranger things have happened.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.