Whidbey Island, WA
Hi
assume
Western WA summer time temps maybe 65° daytime and 55° nighttime
would like pool at 85°
would like to not run heater/pump 24/7
and
acknowledge will need to experiment with the schedule

what would be a good heating / pump schedule to start with?

thank you

Even with a solar cover, that will be a full time heating schedule. You are asking the pool to be 25 degrees in excess of where it would normally be. There'll be some good engineers along to help with the math but I can tell you someone will likely need a second job.

How big is your heater?

Heater goes on at the same time pump goes on and use solar blanket to keep heat in during the cool evenings. Any temperature loss at night will be made up when pump kicks as heater will also kick on.

Heater goes on at the same time pump goes on and use solar blanket to keep heat in during the cool evenings. Any temperature loss at night will be made up when pump kicks as heater will also kick on.

True
At the moment am trying the ComPool set to pump/heat 5am to 8pm with temp set to 85°

but was wondering if there is a more clever schedule
by the way was 82° 6am this morning so appears to have lost 3 or 4° overnight

Last edited:
With oil as the source of heat, the time of day you run the heater only makes a tiny difference. Obviously you want the heater running for at least a few hours before you swim, to insure the pool is up to temperature, but otherwise the only constraint is that there be enough total runtime each day for the heater to be able to keep up.

Using a solar cover, especially at night, will help a great deal.

If there was a heat pump involved, choosing the correct time of day to run the heater would make a large difference.

Using a solar cover, especially at night, will help a great deal.

If there was a heat pump involved, choosing the correct time of day to run the heater would make a large difference.

solar cover? if temp is 85° at 8pm and I put on a solar cover, what would you estimate temp would be at 5am?

heat pump? no heat pump, still using the old equipment that was here when we bought the place in 2011 save for new pump, ComPool and glass in the filter

thank you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got it. So it seems your setup is virtually complete. All you have to do is turn it on and judge your fuel consumption, is that right?

Give it a try but I believe you will find the expense excessive.......monumental without a solar blanket.

I am not familiar with boiler terminology but if it burns 2 gal per hour (per the specs on the plate), That would be maybe 80 gallons to get it to temp and then I would guess (and it is a complete guess) maybe 15-20 per day even with a solar blanket.

So then
heating experiments done with current old equipment (in the sig below)

assume Western WA temps (hi say 65 lo say 55)
assume ambient water temp about 65
assume temp goal is 85
assume current oil price $2.75

experiment #1 warm up
to heat up from 65° to 85°
about 34 hours
about 50 gal fuel oil
about $138

experiment #2 maintain 85°
run pump/heater 5am to 8pm
but found temp down to 82° in the morning and took all morning to reach 85°
not good for small persons so cost irrelevant

experiment #3 maintain 85°
run pump/heater continuously
about 14 gal oil in 24 hours
about $40 per day

but I read on the web that circulation at night actually cools the pool
not good if trying to heat so

experiment #4 maintain 85°
run pump/heater at 6-11am 1-5pm 8-9pm 12-1am and 4-5am
did maintain temp at 85
about 10 gal in 24 hours
about $28 per day

so would appear with this system tis $28 per day
until warmer in July Aug
until climate change raises WA State temps
until I get different equipment
or your clever idea here

now if one says swim time in WA State is Jun-Aug or 90 days
that is 90 * $28 or $2500

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.