Foam, Foam, Foam

Jan 31, 2014
This issue has been going on for 3 weeks!
Decided that the pool would need a little shock after taking cover off, put in HTH shock, and started having foaming issues.
Tried Chlorox for a few days figuring is was algae...still with the foam.
Went to Leslies, had water analysis as I had not ordered My kit;
0 free chlorine
0 total
10cya
everything else good but phosphates 800! 800????
Yes.. I fell for it! Got the Phosfree and Conditioner...
I got the CYA up and the Chlorine was reading at 3.5, put in a couple caps full of Phosfree and chlorine shot up over 5..and still with the foam.

Had water tested yesterday at different pool store;
free Chlorine 0.33
total " ". 0.63
CYA 85
phosphates 2500! 2500??
total disolved solids 2300

and I went for it again! Put in about 1/5L of Phosfree....and more foam!
help:(

Welcome to the forum!

Probably too late, but stop putting these things in. I assume that 2500 in your sig should say 25000? In any event, I am not sure what is causing this, but it may be the phos phree. Was the Clorox plain/regular? No easy pour or scented? I would suggest using pool Math, and adding enough Bleach to get no more than 5 PPM FC by calculation into the pool until your kit arrives. Add nothing else. Do not worry about the testing numbers you got. This is why we say they can't be trusted. They are often wildly different, so who do you believe? There are only very limited reasons for ever using Phosphate remover. Almost without question, they are useless because you can get the Job done with Free Chlorine. We really don't suggest using them at all. Good luck, and there will be others to chime in and help you. Post back with questions, and for sure when you get some good solid test results. Enjoy the forums.

Thanks Patrick,
It is 2500, small therapy pool, but outdoors.
Will dose with chlorine...and wait.
I did read somewhere on here, anything under 5000 gal...more cost effective to drain and fill...hate to if most of my numbers look good....
Are the phosphate test strips reliable at all?

I honestly can't say, but I would not be concerned with the phosphates at all. Its a gimmick to sell chemicals in almost every case. Even if the phosphates were very high, it's easily overcome with Chlorine. Phosphates feed Algae, but if the Algae is not there, or it is dead, it can't utilize the nutrients. Algae does not exist in a properly Chlorinated pool, so that is why we do not believe in addressing the phosphates. Ignore them, and toss the strips.

In that case, dump it and refill. Don't fool around with trying to clean this up. Start fresh, test with the new kit and work the numbers as suggested here. The volume changes things a lot. All that goop they had you put in is likely the culrpit. Start clean and new with a new kit and good numbers.

Your total dissolved solids is way too high, your going to have to drain and refill.

Not because of that. TDS are largely irrelevant to a pool and certainly no reason alone to drain one. We do not suggest changes or treatment advice based on TDS alone. It is an arbitrary number and does not tell you what you need to know, or do based on that number.

I read in his signature that he has a 7x12 spa pool, not just a pool. Spa's need the water changed after the TDA gets too high. I guess we all just need clarification on exactly what he has and then better information can be given.

Not because of that. TDS are largely irrelevant to a pool and certainly no reason alone to drain one. We do not suggest changes or treatment advice based on TDS alone. It is an arbitrary number and does not tell you what you need to know, or do based on that number.

Welcome to TFP! You have gotten a lot of information from two schools of thought. TFPC and poolstore. They really don't mix well and you should pick one or the other.

Here is how we maintain pools.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Although, given the small size of your pool you might want treat it like a hot tub instead. Here is how I maintain my hot tub.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/9670-How-do-I-use-Chlorine-in-my-Spa-(or-pool)

I read in his signature that he has a 7x12 spa pool, not just a pool. Spa's need the water changed after the TDA gets too high. I guess we all just need clarification on exactly what he has and then better information can be given.

Pool or Spa, TDS don't give you enough of the picture. You could fill either with DI water, add enough salt or other solid to make it have "Ideal TDS" and it would still be wrong to assume things were bad or good because of TDS. I'm addressing this because another pool store/service myth is that the pool or spa-pool in this case must be drained when TDS is "high". It simply isn't true. It's what makes up the TDS that matters is my point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Arbitrary and can't be any less, than the source water itself. Therefore no point in worrying about it IMO.

Drain your pool. Water cost will be less than 20 bucks likely.

A pool that size can be sanitary and safe with a test kit for pH and chlorine only (Taylor K-1000) and then about 25 cents a day in clorox.

If you lose control of it somehow, dump it and start again.

Here' a thinker for you?
After draining and refilling, started my SWG, and came back and had......foam!
Went a got all new hose, thinking all this could be a leak somewhere.
After a few stop and starts...everything was looking good
Turned on the SWG again...foam...and its not bubbles....it creates them and they accumulate.
Will turn into my dad and drive this lemon through the showroom window...

To get everyone to speed; nothing at this point, in water, but salt.

Something is in your water. If you didn't put it there, then it is occurring in your water supply and should foam up when you get a glass of water from the kitchen sink (if your fill water comes from the same source)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.