Drain pool or top off and shock ?

Doug C

Aug 6, 2011
Hi folks - sorry if this is a dumb question but here goes.... we've got an above ground pool 4200 gal (I think) (12x16x4), I drained it last fall intending to purchase a cover before the rains started. Needless to say I did not make it. After it got a few inches in the bottom I was like 'aw forget it'. So now the pool is over a 3rd full or more. I tried (and tried) to siphon off that nasty green water - but gave up getting a stream to flow from my waterhose after a good amount of time trying (and many mouthfulls of that nasty green water - not smart I know).

I was wondering... could I just top the pool off with fresh water then shock the thing really hard? Would there even be a chance of clearing up this water (and killing the mosquitos that have made a home of it)? thanks. ~ doug

We generally recommend that anything less than 5,000 gallons is more cost effective to drain and refill than to clean up. You can avoid the mouthful of algae with a rental sump pump from Home Depot or an inexpensive one from Harbor Freight.

However you you decide to go, I would recommend doing it and gettin water in that pool. A great deal of the stability in a an AG pool is the water pressure,pushing out on the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.