May 23, 2015
Woodstock, VA
Hello, all! My husband and I just purchased our first home... that has an inground pool. He was SO excited, I wasn't so much. Our home was a foreclosure, (yikes), and the pool looks like it was neglected for a long time. Had the local pool guy come out, told us everything looked OK. (If needed new equipment, wasn't going to bother opening first summer). Everything was not OK (shocker). Needed new pump, new sand, new part in filter, and had some leaks that had to be repaired. 2 thousand dollars later, we thought the worst was over. WRONG. I have spent big time $$$ on so many chemicals and I am still left with a super cloudy pool, that is "blue" some days, and as soon as it is disturbed it is green. I have shocked and shocked, pool place said levels all look good. Tried blind vacuuming, got most of shallow end all cleaned up, but still can't see bottom, but deep end still probably has inches of gunk. I really don't know much about the equipment. I do know that the pool is around 19500 gallons according to the pool store records. Pool guy apparently opened with 50 lbs of shock, that's what I was charged for anyway. Was then told to add another 25 lbs, and have since then probably added another 20. I have tried 3 different types of algecides. Tried flocing. Tried it all. At this point if we can't get this pool ready by the end of the summer, next summer it is getting filled in!!!!! It has been "open" for over a month now, and I still can't even see past the second step. Frustrated beyond belief. Any help would be appreciated.

I have added a picture of the pool when we first pulled the cover off (mesh cover, not a winter cover), as the massive amount of shock has been working for a few hours.
Now it is just either a bright teal blue cloudy mess, or neon green. No junk.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 507
Also, I have to backwash numerous times a day. Sometimes as short as an hour. The psi rises 10+. I know the pool is filthy, but is that normal? I ran out of water once, stalling my progress as I waited for the water haulers to come in. Can't really vacuum much anymore, and backwashing is dropping my levels rapidly.

Welcome to TFP!

The filter is doing it job, filtering junk out of the water. What concerns me more is the advice you are getting from the pool store. 75 pounds of shock (most likely Dichlor) adds way too much stabilizer.

If if you are going to,take control of that pool and follow our methods you need your own quality test kit. You need the TF100 and the XL option from www.tftestkits.net

No more solid forms of chlorine, liquid only.

Remember, most pool stores are not your friend, they exist to sell you as much stuff as possible.

Gonna be honest, that looks horrible. Reminds me of the flocculant tanks when I worked at a power plant. Now, more honesty, we can and will help you and you will open this pool every year after you get it cleaned up.

You are going to need a test kit. The one mentioned above is really good. Until you order the test kit, if you can get readings grin the pool store or an old test kit that you have laying around, that will help others provide guidance.

You are going to need bleach, lots of bleach. Walmart is the most recommeded brand for both price and concentration.

Please update your signature so that we know what kind of equipment you are working with. A DE filter requires different guidance than a sand filter. So, the sooner you tell us your specific equipment, the better.
You should also make every effort to get the stuff floating on the top out of the pool and keep scooping the bottom. The more organic material that you remove, the less bleach you will use.

I can't wait to watch this one unfold. If you need inspiration, search the forum for topics related to "swamp" "black pool", etc. Those folks thought cleaning up the pool was impossible and they succeeded. You will too and you will learn so much along the way!

- - - Updated - - -

WARNING! IF YOU HAVE A DE FILTER, DO NOT PUMP THAT SLUDGE/FLOC THROUGH IT UNTIL OTHERS WEIGH IN. YOU COULD RUIN THE GRIDS!

I know that the alkalinity from last pool test I had last week or so was around 60. Here is an "updated" pic... what I have been fighting for last 2 weeks. I really don't know much about the equipment that I have... know that it is a sand filter, but I can get the exact from the pool place.

I do know that the shock they added was lithium. I used hypo-chlorite. That other kind is really expensive! sorry for the lack of knowledge here, but I have really been trying to research as much as possible.

The GREEN pic was about 3 days ago, the other is one I just snapped.
attachment.php
attachment.php

So considering what I started with, it looks loads better. But this last little part of clearing it up is just driving me up the wall!

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 984
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 970
Well, that is actually good news. The expensive "lithium" shock doesn't add to your CYA/stabilizer level.
did they give you any printout of the water testing they did?

here is the deal, and I'll be brutally honest. You need to choose the pool store methods or ours. They really are not compatable. You will just drive yourself crazy attempting both.

Their irs way is expensive and helps pay for the owners boat. Our way fixes everything without sending you to the poor house. It is just "different" so friends with pools won't understand what you are talking about.

I am totally on board with your way! To heck with the pool place, really. I am tired of hearing "oh, well it looks good on paper, dunno why it looks like THAT in the picture". What should my next plan of action be? I have scooped as much gunk blindly out of the bottom as possible, and then vacuum to waste as much also. Still can't see 3 inches down. I have test strips, but will order that recommended test. But until it comes in, what do you think I should do? I can literally see the gunk going through the pump, and then the water that is being returned is not clear. The pool has tons of little particles floating around which I am assuming might be dead algae and I don't think the filter is catching any of it.

And yes, they did give me a print out. These are the results from the 18th

Free chlorine - 0.23 ppm
Total chlorine - 2.18 ppm
Combined chlorine - 1.95 ppm
pH - 7.4
Hardness 416 ppm
Alkalinity - 142 ppm (sorry I quoted wrong earlier, I meant CYA)
Cyanuric Acid - 60ppm
Copper 0.3 ppm
Iron 0.7 ppm

Welcome to TFP liv :wave:

Truth be told, you didn't try everything, you tried everything the pool store can offer you. As you can see, they can often leave a lot to be desired. What you haven't tried yet is Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC), which is what we teach here. It is more in depth (but that doesn't mean complicated) but leads to far sparklier results. How you found the site is exactly how most of us, including myself, have found it. A green pool and nothing seemed to be working.

Before you fill it in I'm glad you are giving the TFPC method a shot. It will involve purchasing a test kit that is much more advanced than you have probably worked with before, but don't be intimidated by it since we are here to help you learn to use it. The TF-100XL is probably most appropriate for your situation (link below). You will need to stock up on liquid chlorine, either plain ol' bleach or "liquid pool sanitizer", whichever is most cost effective in your area. Once you get the kit and get some accurate results (pool store testing is pretty much worthless, just like everything they do) you will be able to start the SLAM Process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl.

Once you order your kit you will want to split your time waiting by doing some reading in the Pool School, and trying your best to vacuum the bottom. Everything you are able to get off the bottom will be less crud that the chlorine is fighting.

I only promise that the process works, and I can attest that it works well. Working the process is up to each individual person.

Well, I don't like the metals they are reporting, but it is what it is.

First order of business, order the test kit. If you look in our Pool School there is a list of recommended test kits. They are recommended because they use reliable test chemicals. You need the kit I listed above because it has more of the stuff you are going to need to get that clear.

Second, pour yourself a glass of wine and relax. Once the test kit comes in you will be working hard for I'm going to guess a week or more.

Third, find a source for liquid chlorine. I'm not sure if VA pool stores sell the higher % stuff. If not, you are going to need lots of bleach. Plain bleach. No scents, no EZ pour, no flavors (OK, I made that one up). You want the 8.25% stuff. Walmart GreatValue works, or look at the grocery store ads for sales. If it's less than $2 it will probably bea low % bleach.

As as long as you are close to a store that sells it, don't get more than 20 or so bottles. But, you WILL need more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
YES, YES , YES, It's worth it. I spent a year or so before I broke down and bought one. It makes your testing soooo much easier and more accurate. Also you will be using a lot of reagent in the SLAM testing. The XL option gives you extra reagent.

In addition to backwashing your filter, you need to devote several minutes to rinsing it before returning it to the filter position. The best method that I have found is, backwash/rinse for a minute or two each and then repeat the cylce several times. When I didn't rinse long enough, because I didn't think it mattered, the backeashing water would look clean but then, I watched green dust being pumped back into my pool. I was ready to buy a new filter but this forum saved me that unnecessary expense. As long as I conduct a proper rinse cycle, nothing blows back into the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Get the speed stir. I hate trying to swirl the vial.

Any chance you have a rural king near you? They have cases of 10% for $7.99. Also, this is gonna be awesome. I'm popping popcorn in my mind right now. Strap in and hang on because this is gonna be an incredible transformation. If you get the test kit and follow the slam parameters, that pool is gonna be beautiful in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I look at that before photo and wonder if that pool used Baquacil before. Strangely similar colors and gunk floating.
Yes, that does look a bit like a conversion picture, but the solution is the same- chlorine, SLAM, SLAM.

Oh Liv, that looks a horrid mess but you've come to the right place! There are some very intelligent peeps on these forums to help get you cleared right up.

While you wait for your test kit to arrive, start reading everything in pool school. Have another glass of wine and read it again. Eventually everything starts to sink in and you will be better prepared to start your SLAM.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.