calcium scale and acid wash (empty pool)

Jul 17, 2013
I had a problem with calcium scale last year, but also had a problem with the glazing on my tile chipping so i decided to do an acid wash this year. I have a 20K gunite/plaster pool that is 4 years old.

I have a feeling the scaling was due to my high pH as the CH seemed to be fine - but no matter - I will get the water chemistry right when i fill it.

My question is this - I am acid washing with a 50/50 water/acid solution, and although the plaster looks very nice, I still feel the sharp - rough calcium. A pumice stone takes it off, but I don't really like the idea of rubbing the entire pool down.

I have already made 2 passes with acid wash. I am using a watering can - pouring it on, letting it sit for about 30 seconds and scrubbing and rinsing.... Should I up the concentration of acid? Any other thoughts?

I know I could do the no-drain method, but I don't have a heater bypass, and to put one in, I need to get some new union connectors for the filter and heater... just more work.

If this thread is in the wrong forum, feel free to move.

Thanks!

You are doing the right thing. However, if the scale is thicker than normal, it can take a couple of passes to get all of the scale off.

You can use more concentrated acid, but it is rather more difficult to work with and I don't really recommend it.

Thanks, it sounds like I could make my mixture stronger... yeah, I don't really want to buy stronger acid - and if I recall, to get the stronger stuff you had to buy a carboy.

I guess I will try 75% acid to water, and I could always try a small spot at full strength.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.