Opening my AGP after its first year being left up over winter, need some reminders!

nate81

May 20, 2013
Raleigh, NC
fc 0
ph 7
TA 70
calcium hardness 20
cya (dot never dissappeard on taylor 2006 test so i'm assuming 0)

I left my pool up over the winter and i need direction on what to fix first, does order matter?

I shocked it a few days ago via bleach and got the FC way up, but has since dropped to nothing. I have yet to plug in my SWG.
I had my cya levels perfect last year, but it seems there is none left?

I have a 5,000 gallon intext pool and was missing about 5 or 6 inches of water....before i filled (from my well) ph was high...8+....after filling its now showing 7...what gives?

Sounds like you have the numbers together, get a sock hanging with the proper dose of CYA and get the chlorine back up to SLAM levels. I have no knowledge of SWG systems and what to tell you there.

got my sock full of CYA almost totally dissolved and turned on my SWG, i'll check the chlorine levels tommorow, how soon before i can toss my kid in to swim?

You can toss the kids in.. Lol.. When you have the minimum free chlorine level for your CYA target. Coming from zero, your SWG may take a long minute to get there. You might consider going and buying a gallon of at least 8.25 and dumping in the appropriate amount. After a few minutes, your kids can get in and your SWG can maintain.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone else will hopefully weigh in on your PH but I think you need to raise it a little. Wait for someone else to help with PH because they may tell you to leave it alone and wait for it to come up on its own.

It means those couple of days with FC of 0 algae was growing. It is important to never let you FC level fall below the minimum level for your CYA level, never ever, or algae will grow.

It is time to get ready to SLAM Your Pool.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here is the Water Balance for a saltwater pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

fc 21
cc 0
i'm going to assume my cya is 70

ok, so i've been keeping my FC up to 24 for several days now...wed after work the fc was down to 16, so i dumped enough bleach to get it to 24 (i didnt check, running low on testing supplies)...today i got home from work and the fc was 21 and showing zero for cc......i'm going to assume i'm done SLAMming my pool....i have NOT yet done the overnight fc loss test. but is it neccesary if my CC is zero? I was hoping to let everyone in the pool this weekend and didnt want to have my FC so high. Can i let my FC drift down now? Oh, the water has a slight green tint to it still also....i have been vacuuming and scrubbing the walls everday and backwashing every other day.

So, pools are for fun. I think that the SLAM is probably not finished. But, I think letting the FC drift down so you can swim this weekend and the resume the slam to finish it up.

It is safe to swim when:
FC is below shock level for you CYA level
FC is above minimum for your CYA level
PH is between 7.2 and 7.8
Water is clear

I reread the links you sent again after my post, and basically i asked a question that could have been answered had i reread it first. i'm done when CC is .5 or lower...i can pass an overnight FC loss test AND the water is clear (even though it mentions later in the same page that it can take up to a week for the water to clear)

I'm running out off FC test stuff because my slam level is like 28....so if i test tommorow close to nightfall, i doubt i'll have enough to test again saturday morning. oh well, might have to wait a few more days to swim. I want to be 100% my kid doesnt get sick or anything lol ...edit, just ordered some refills from tfteskits, i just got some cya last week from them, i suppose i should i have had it all shipped together :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC of 21 or 24 is fine to swim all you want. Actually the more ya'll swim the more the FC will drop. You don't need to test tomorrow night and Sat morning. It is fine, really. Lots of people are swimming in much worse pools than yours.

I had to read it all 30 or 40 times to get it all figured out. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.