Is this Algae?

TCpoolnoob

Apr 27, 2015
Richland WA
3 days ago I found some brown sediment in the bottom of the pool in the morning. Yesterday it was there and again today I found brown sediment. It's very fine and basically disappears when you attempt to touch or remove it. I wouldn't really say the amount is growing but it's definitely not getting filtered out by my sand filter and I think it is too fine to get picked up by my polaris. If I turn on my polaris pool sweep, it will be gone in approx a half hour but seems to be returning.

My pool water was and is very clear. I just checked the chlorine test and its reading at or slightly above 3ppm. I'm going to re run my tests once I get some advice on identifying the culprit.

I did notice what looks to be a dirty ring forming on the sides of the pool. I'm suspecting this is Algae? I can't honestly say if this ring is new or I just noticed it.

The pool was very filthy when I opened it with terrible green water, vegetation growing in it and several pretty bad stains on the plaster from leaves and dirty water. There was a definite ring at that time but I thought it had completely faded.

I had slammed the pool to get it into this condition prior to finding this forum. I'm concerned I may not have slam (Maintined) the levels long enough and never fully killed the algae?

If it's helpful I can retest the water and post up new results but here's what I had a few days ago prior to noticing the sediment.

FC greater than 5 Range only goes to 5 and it is slightly more yellow than 5. I'm guessing 6?
PH 6.8
TA 120
CH 250
CYA 40
CH Drop 7.5
CC 0
TC greater than 5

Here's a video of the sediment and a closeup of the walls.

https://youtu.be/MeYvhmLhJIY

What do you think?

That looks like pollen accumulating on the bottom of the pool and either calcium scaling or calcium etching on the walls. Whatever is on the walls, it isn't related to the very fine dust debris on the bottom of the pool.

Had the same problem. Thought it was algae and ended up being pollen.

I put a sock in my skimmer basket to catch it. Took about 2 days and changing the sock every couple of hours. I also brushed the pool every couple of hours to stir it up really good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.