Pump Recommendations for Draining Pool

May 3, 2015
Moorpark, CA
Since my CYA is around 240, I need to drain and refill the pool. Some people have recommended doing multiple 20% drain and refills to prevent popup or structural damage to the pool. I also have been told to avoid drying out the plaster. A 20% drain will also allow me to use the pool water to irrigate my lawn and yard each time instead of the sprinklers, without completely flooding it.

I can rent a submersible pump for $40 a day at Home Depot, but since I will need to do six 20% drains, that would be $240. I might as well buy a pump. I am new to this, so am not sure what specifications and models I should look for. Any recommendations for a decent quality pump would be appreciated. I want to avoid the problem another member had when the pump leaked oil into his pool.

Michael

You can buy a cheap submersible pump from harbor freight for around $60, but if you want to get much flow out of it to run sprinklers you may need a bigger one. Alternatively just add a hose bib tap downstream from your pool pump and use it to water the yard and refill as you go draining down just a little each time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.