multiport bulkhead connections wrong type

Aug 26, 2012
Herndon, Va
I am installing a new multiport and the connections to the filter are different and will not work.

The multiport I am trying to install has molded (as in not screw fittings) for the two fittings that connect to the filter. All the others are screw in type and pose no really problem.

I am guessing that my two options at this point are to cut the two connectors off the new valve and put the old stuff onto this. Are the pipes they use on these multiports standard 1.5" pipe, i.e. will ordinary 1.5" pvc fit these? Also, would my local home store have a bulkhead that would work?

Other option would be to find bulkhead fittings that I could put on the filter that fit to this valve. Where would I get these, how much would they cost, and what do they look like?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Do you have any pictures that will give a better idea of what you're dealing with? I take it that the new multiport has slip fittings vs the threaded fittings on the previous one? I'm having trouble visualizing what you would cut off the new valve to get a threaded fitting to work. It should take regular pvc. A bulkhead fitting is actually one that goes through a wall. The part you're referring to will be call a screwed fitting, threaded fitting, male adapter, terminal adapter,... All names for a fitting that glues to pipe on one side and it threaded on the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply n240sxguy.

I've attached a picture of my current setup and a picture of the valve I purchased. The main problem is that the new valve has the wrong fittings on it, I believe they are Pentair only connections and I have KDI American which Pentair owns.

Well I tried to attach the pictures, but I exceeded my quota.

The valve I purchased has the connections to the bulkhead already installed. Are the pipes on these valves standard size? I don't want to cut off the ends only to find that they are not.

ebaedaa4-c47f-4108-96c8-b10d75486f6f_zps4oohm2ow.jpg
PentairMultiport_zpsyinzt7y1.jpg

All the pipes are standard size, but like you mentioned, some unions are proprietary. Setup a photobucket account and link the img here so we can see what's going on.

Ok. I didn't realize it was a side mount multiport. That clarifies a lot. I'm not sure if you could cut those off and make another one work on either the valve or the filter. Does pentair offer a kit to replace the fittings on the filter itself? I would call tech support and see what they say.

After understanding that they have no standard on the connections on pool filters, I did a search for the specific type of filter that I have and I found a Pentair part number for it. I think I will just return the one I have and then get the one that has the correct fittings. Just need to do it so that I can get my filter cleaned and things running again. When I went to backwash before I attempted to install the new filter the eyeglass went shooting out! It appears to rusted through, guess it was time for a new valve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.