Still cloudy water

cfclay

Apr 24, 2010
Lexington,Ky
I opened pool ten days ago and my water has been balanced for four days pretty well:

FC: 3
CC: .5
PH: 7.5
CYA: 40
TA: 90

What am I missing team?
4752e027bb107f6fcfe6706d1f3cf54c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for responding. As I read the SLAM procedures- I'm looking for this:

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
  • And the water is clear.
I didn't do the SLAM process at first because it seemed like it took a several days to get the water balanced in terms of PH, TA, and CYA. I just added enough chlorine to get me to 3 ppm. I would say that I am just now in the last 48 hours reaching "B". There were some days about 5, 6 days ago were it seemed like all Chlorine was gone the next day. We had about probably 4-6 inches of rain in a flash flood and I think that was another day that I lost all chorine on the reading. I think it looked like this 4 days ago really.
In the picture- that's not a stain but some debris not yet vaccuum. I brushed and vaccumed several times- this is just the last little bit left

Just to be clear (pardon the pun), I would add chlorine to bring it up to shock level- that's 16 ppm for a CYA of 40. Then keep doing this until there is less than 1 ppm million loss in Free Chlorine? Keep adding to that shock level?

Yes keep it at that shock level until you lose less than 1ppm overnight. The overnight test eliminates the sun as a factor in consuming the chlorine. So if you're losing more than 1ppm overnight you know it is organics (algae) consuming the chlorine and not the sun. While at slam level make sure to keep brushing and get all the debris out.

Thanks for sending that link folks. I'm five years into my troublefreepool.com forum membership; so I have definitely refered to that link. However if I may comment- finding that particular link does seem quite difficult when only using the Tapatalk IOS app.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, it is not uncommon to use lots of bleach early in a SLAM. If you can it is helpful to test and add bleach every 2-3 hours at first, then 2-3 times per day after chlorine level is holding better.

Yes, it is not uncommon to use lots of bleach early in a SLAM. If you can it is helpful to test and add bleach every 2-3 hours at first, then 2-3 times per day after chlorine level is holding better.

How long does this typically take? I mean ... I got to earn a living and go to work on Tuesday. [emoji2]

How long does this typically take? I mean ... I got to earn a living and go to work on Tuesday. [emoji2]

What! That's blasphemy! Pools are all that matter! :) Some slams take a few days. Some take a few weeks. You look more on the couple days side of things since it's not a swamp.

No, it would just be coincidence if that happened. You pool sparkles because you have filtered out all the debris, living and dead, in your pool.

Passing the OCLT means you have killed virtually all the organics.

The Intex pumps and filters are notorious for being slow to clear a pool.

You might try just a little DE powder added to your sand filter. Just enough for a 1 psi rise. That often speeds things up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.