ROSEVILLE
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
First of all thank you for this website, I am a new pool owner coming up on 1 year of ownership and I have not stepped one foot into a pool store thanks to you guys!!! On the wall of my pool I have swirl or darker areas than others. this is only on the walls as the bottom of the pool is a consistent blue.(plaster is Tahoe Blue) is this scaling??
FC- 4.0
PH- 7.6
TA- 60
Ch-450
cya-70

To keep PH at this level I need to add about 1/2 cup Ma every 3rd day or so(is this normal?)

Thank you!!!

Hey Mac,

As you know, most of your numbers are decent. CH a bit high and that means you've got a higher level of minerals dissolved in your pool...and so the scaling. Can you drain and refill a few inches a week for the next couple weeks?
I'm aware of the drought in cali...not sure how that factors in from a water bill standpoint.

I'm interested here because I've got tahoe blue pebble tech too. Curious if a CH of 450 works harder on this color.
good luck!

Yeah,
your tests dont show that you are in danger of scaling. A pic would go a long ways.

If the plaster is relatively new, fairly quick rise in pH is normal. Its roughly a year for the plaster to fully cure and settle down. After that, the pH rise should slow down considerably.

Thanks for the replies, Achristie76, draining and re filling would have to be last resort(serious water constrictions) thx

duraleigh, they appeared over the winter, it is possible my ph got a little high during the winter

Dave, plaster is almost a year old(june 6th 2014) I will try and post some pictures but I am a little computer challenged...

pool pic 1.jpgpool pic 2.jpgpool pic 3.jpg

Hey Mac,

As you know, most of your numbers are decent. CH a bit high and that means you've got a higher level of minerals dissolved in your pool...and so the scaling. Can you drain and refill a few inches a week for the next couple weeks?
I'm aware of the drought in cali...not sure how that factors in from a water bill standpoint.

I'm interested here because I've got tahoe blue pebble tech too. Curious if a CH of 450 works harder on this color.
good luck!

With the numbers you have posted, you are far from scaling potential since your CSI has a negative product (assuming a 3000 ppm salt level since you have a SWG). Your CH level is perfectly fine where it is at and it is actually providing you with the benefit of raising your CSI to avoid being in the corrosive range. Salt water pools require a higher CH level (especially with borates) to combat the typical low CSI level from maintaining a low TA and having a higher level of CYA. Draining your water is not the correct approach

Having a higher PH while the water is cooler is preferred. I doubt that did any damage unless the PH was left VERY high for most of the winter.

The pictures you posted look more like the typical discolorations from troweling, not from scale.

In regards to your acid additions, you will likely see a decrease in acid consumption if you maintain your PH in the 7.6-7.8 range and added 50 ppm of borates (if you haven't done so already).

Thank you bdavis466, my salt level is 3100 ppm. I have not added borates at all and not sure if the pool company did at start up. I will try that as well. Thanks again for your help!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.