High Filter pressure

mkohr

Mar 18, 2015
Lebanon, PA
In the past years my filter pressure was normally around 20 PSI. This year i have been running around 26-27 psi which usually means its time to backwash at this pressure. My issue is the filter doesnt need back washed, i tried that and the pressure wont go down. I actually backwash about 10,000 gallons thru it when i opened the pool this was a partial drain and fill to bring mu CYA down ... My initial thought was maybe last year the pool company i had close the pool didn't do a good job cleaning the filter. So yesterday a took it all apart and thoroughly cleaned all the fins.... put it all back together and still 26 psi before adding any DE. It appears as if the flow and pressure on the return is the same it always was in past years.
Any ideas from the experts:D

Your problem sounds like mine. I went through 2or 3 of the "cheaper" gauges from the nearest pool store and each time I got a new one the pressure would read my normal 12 but would start to drift up after winter and it was the gauges (confirming I didn't need to backwash etc). I bought the one from tfteskits this year. Happy so far.

If you put smaller eyeballs in your returns that would cause a pressure increase. Also check to see if you have anything stuck behind an eyeball that might be reducing flow/increasing back pressure.

Think back to see if you have added or modified ANYTHING on the pressure side to restrict the flow. If your filter is functioning as it was last year, about the only thing that will make the psi go up is some other type of restriction on the pressure side.

Your pump is a little high for your setup but 20 would be about right and 26 sounds too high. Something is restricting the output.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.