clearing cloudy water

Jun 29, 2014
pendleton,IN
my ongoing problem is white mold /bacteria which, from what I have read, you cannot eliminate and only control. I have an automatic cover which remains closed most of the time. when I joined your forum I became aware of overstabilized chlorine and went from tablets and high cya of 100+ to less than 20 and used liquid chlorine instead of tablets which helped a lot along with daily brushing and frequent vacuuming. I also cleaned my filter and used a product called pink cure to clear the water. all this time I maintained free cl ,ph,cya ,but could never eliminate combined cl. when I opened my pool this spring I could not see the bottom of the shallow end due to the turbidity. I was late opening the pool because I was out of town. I have been slamming the water for almost two weeks using about 12 gal of liquid cl and I can see the bottom of the deep end through the cloud. I have added algaecide and a product from natural chemistry called pool first aid which has helped. yesterday I added the robard product called pink cure which also has helped in the past. I am confident that it will eventually clear but it is a constant battle. It seems my pool is similar to hot tub chemistry problems because it is frequently covered and warm 85to90f during summer months. I brush it daily when in use and slam frequently. any suggestions on control of organic growth would be appreciated. :( my current cya is <20 or not detectable. my free cl is in the 1 to 4 range between slams. the ph is 7.0 to 7.2 right now. normally the pn is 7.2 7.6. my alkalinity is is 70to80, my ca is 500. I have well water which I run through a filter. my combined cl is running 8 to 12. when the water clears the combined cl will drop to 1 to 3 and free will maintain about the same. I have been using the tf100 kit all last year and this year and I just added 2 gal of 10% bleach plus 4lbs of sodium carbonate to raise ph. the additives I use I found on my own and ordered on the internet. it is beginning to clear and I will continue to slam away.
I am using the tf100 test kit and I do not buy from swimming pool stores. I am currently slamming daily and also raising the cya and ph to normal levels. I have raised my alkalinity to 130 ph is 7.3 and holding.
AFTER THREE WEEKS OF SLAMMING ON A DAILY BASIS THE POOL IS FINALLY CLEAR. I USED A TOTAL OF 21 GAL OF LIQUID CHLORINE AND ONE AND HALF QUARTS OF ALGAECIDE 60. I AM CONTINUING TO SLAM AT ABOUT 2 QTS PER DAY UNTIL MY CC IS NEAR ZERO. I AM BRUSHING DAILY AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

Last edited:
My first suggestion would be to keep your wallet in your pocket. The Pool Store is happy for you to keep trying Pink whatever and magic whatever but neither you nor I know the outcome of those products.....you are simply hoping they will work.

Chlorine will fix your pool and you can get rid of white mold permanently if you use it properly. The first step towards heading in that direction is a set of tests that are current and that we can trust. Strips are no good and Pool Store testing is sometimes worse. How are you testing the pool?

You need to get your own GOOD test kit and post numbers so that we can help you get started if you don't have one.

I would suggest that you do a bit of reading in Pool School ,and make use of Pool Math, using ONLY those chemicals listed in Pool Math. You will save yourself a lot of money and problems. The only thing I ever buy at a pool store is MA. (And that's only because my local pool store has acid cheaper than Lowes or HD.) If you want to use TFP methods to manage your pool you need to know exactly what chemicals you are putting in, and only add what your pool. needs. That's where Pool Math comes in. Stay away from pool stores!

I stopped using tablets containing cya last year because it got too high and I used liquid cl exclusively. I have always tested myself and purchased what I wanted on line or at stores like menards or sams club. I joined tfp last year and started using your test kit. I have stabilized tablets and a in line feeder which I also began using again but I am still slamming. the water is getting clearer each day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am editing my post and replies. my cya got to 150 two seasons ago so I stopped using tablets containing cya through my feeder and used liquid cl exclusively for the last two seasons and my cya is now near zero so I began adding tablets to my feeder when I opened this year along with slamming with liquid. I am monitoring with the tf100 kit and have been using it for the last two seasons also. sorry for the confusion. the water is continuing to get clearer and I am still slamming daily.

Ditto on all the advice above. You seem to think that cya is only available in your chlorine tabs. That is definitely not the case. Go to Lowes, Home Depot, or your pool store and get yourself a bunch of CYA by itself...it may be called stabilizer.

I know exactly where I can get stabilizer and I understand perfectly you it is available outside of cl tabs. I am not adding it because I need all available free cl right now to kill organics first so I can use cl tabs along with liquid cl for the time being to clear my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.