Does Increasing CYA(Stabalizer) also increase your ALKALINITY Readings?

Jul 25, 2010
North Bergen, NJ
Folks, sorry about this rookie question but Im learning all I can in your Pool School ABC sections....

So recently I have been trying to even out my water chemistry to the appropriate Salt Water Vinyl pool recommendations based on the SWG Water guide. Based on test kit readings, I have Low CYA (almost 0) and High Alkalinity at 160 (which I've recently lowered from 180 using some techniques recommended here)

But now the more I read and the more I learn, Im kinda confused at a few things and how I should overall attack balancing the numbers ultimately. Is CYA a certain percentage of your Total Alkalinity?....if so, by trying to increase the CYA to normal levels, am I just now also adding to the higher Total Alkalinity in my pool?

Which setting should I start with first?

Do I get the CYA normal at 40ppm? (is 40 best for SWG?)

Do I then attack the high Alkalinity and get it down to 80ppm?....then work on rebalancing my PH up again to 7.4-7.6 by aeration?

Should I worry at all about my Free Chlorine level if its over 5ppm? or does the SWG take of all that automatically?

Thanks...if anyone cares to help me thru this a little, I'd be most appreciative. I kinda understand it but just need a little walk thru at a hi level

CYA doesn't increase your TA. CYA should be 70-80 with a SWG. FC will be relative to your CYA level. Check the chart in pool school to verify where you need it. Your SWG will make chlorine based on pump run time and the % output you have it set at. Continue using acid and aerating to lower your TA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it safe to swim this weekend if my numbers arent where they should be but the water is clear?

Im still currently at TA of approx 120-130ppm and my PH is around 6.8 or maybe even under (my poolmaster solution kit only goes down to PH 6.8 readings) but Im aerating my 10,000 pool by pointing the returns up to the surface and have my Pentair VS 3HP pump running at 3100RPM. Btw, how long should aerating take like this to get some pH up to at least 7.2?

Get some CYA dissolving in a sock in the skimmer, the TA doesn't hurt anybody, add a little borax to bump the ph up, and have fun swimming. The scary thing is all the thousands of people who will be in a pool this weekend who have no clue about whether it is safe or not.

People tend to obsess over TA too much, it really is the last step in fine tuning a pool and there should be no rush getting it done. I would add some Borax to raise pH and swim then worry about the TA at some point later.

so if I understand the order of importance it would be:

Get CYA set properly first?

Get pH set properly 2nd?

Get Alkalinity set later on...its not a high priority in comparison to the first 2?

Where would Chlorine fall into this?...or should I not worry since I have a SWG and it should be automating the chlorine properly?

Chlorine is #1, and directly related to #2. Then ph, then TA and CH. You need to keep an eye on your FC readings to make sure your SWG is making enough. That's also related to your CYA because of you don't have enough, the sun will burn it off.

In your case I would say CH dead last, it is NOT needed by vinyl pools, but may be needed for some equipment warranties, particularly heaters, even though CH should have no effect heaters, some of the manufacturers seem to just copy an industry standard chemicals level chart into their warranty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You kind of have the right idea.

Chlorine must always be above the minimum level for your CYA level or algae will grow. Chlorine CYA Chart
You have to have CYA in the water to keep the sun from burning off your CYA too fast, and to make the pool more comfortable for swimmers.
PH needs to be maintained between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times.

TA needs to be monitored and managed, it often will correct itself.
CH needs to be monitored and managed in certain situations where there is hard or soft water.

Here is more info, ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.