VS Pump and Automation

Apr 25, 2015
Pasadena, CA
I had my local chain pool supply shop come out today to look at my system for adding a VS pump. I'm a new pool owner and we are getting clobbered by our electric bill. They told me a VS will not communicate with my automation control panel cause it's too old. They could do the install and also update the motherboard for a total of $2600 or can just install the pump for $1400, but I would have to use the controls on the pump to program the run times. Wasn't really looking to put that much money into it now, but we've got to get our monthly costs down.

Anyone have any experience with a VS pump and an automation system that doesn't control the pump? I guess my question is would I still be using my control panel to run my heater, lights, spa settings and SWG? Are there any reasons why I might not want to go this route?

Another option I guess is to just go with a 2 speed pump, but that wouldn't save us as much on the electricity, and the store told us they break down more. Not sure if I believe that.

How much are you running your pump each day? You may be able to cut your run time down some to help save money. I think they have it backwards on which one breaks down more; though I haven't seen a lot of complaints on here about vs pumps failing. A 2 speed is just like a single speed with an extra set of windings. No electronics like the vs that could get hurt by voltage spikes. I can't help with the automation communication stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not familiar with aqualogic but it seems to me that you could get a 2 speed pump (or motor only), keep it on low and the aqualogic could turn it on and off.

You can probably get a 2 speed motor for your current pump for under $400 mail order, which may not save you as much on your electric bill, but will be a whole lot less out of pocket. Installation is fairly simple, usually 8 bolts plus wiring up the 2 speed switch, you don't even have to disconnect plumbing unless it is mounted in a tight spot.

Which specific VS pump do you have? Many of them offer some provision for working with an older automation system that doesn't understand variable speed pumps.

Two speed pumps break down significantly less often than variable speed pumps. However, a variable speed will indeed save more electricity. The additional savings from a VS isn't all that large, but at California's typical electrical rates a VS is almost always worth it.

Don't have a variable speed yet, but the quote was for a Hayward EcoStar. Hmm, maybe I'll try and find a manual for it to see if they can communicate.

Installing a new 2 speed motor option sounds nice, but wondering if my system would automatically talk to the pump then? And yes, we really need the best solution to deal with the California rates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.