finding equipment that accepts larger pipe sizes

May 23, 2015
Victoria
Hi everyone.

I have read several posts that recommend larger pipe sizes, specifically for spa pump returns (i.e. use 2.5" or 3" lines for the returns out to the spa jets on a dedicated pump that is plumbed seperately from the filter/heater loop).
Where can I find jet bodies, and pumps, that have these large size connections OR do I just use reducers to change the size of the pipe at each of these connections?
PS - what size should the suction pipe be (and I assume all suction needs at least "inputs")?

You would just use reducers, and if they are external reducers and not reducing bushings, make sure they are pressure rated and not dwv reducers... As for sizing, I always try to have suction side larger than return side... Some pumps can get noisy when you can't get them enough water for the output size they have...

The ideal pipe size depends on several things, most significantly the number of parallel runs from the pool to the equipment pad, the distance the pipe runs, and any requirements for high flow rates (i.e. large waterfall, spa jets, etc).

For a fairly simple pool that isn't too far from the pad you would typically use two runs (generally main drain and skimmer) of 2" pipe for the suction side, and two runs (two returns or two groups of returns) of 1 1/2" pipe for the returns. Spas typically have much higher flow rates, so 3" pipe is common.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.