How do people get the water off their IG winter cover?

haybird

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Ontario
I have a sumbmersible pump I use to lower the pool.
But it seems to big and heavy to use to pump off the cover.
It uses a 1"1/2 hose. I have seen some little pumps that use a garden hose.

These seem perfect but they say "not recommend for inground pools"
Has anybody tried one of these or know of one that will work at a reasonable price?
Thanks for any input

I use a 1/6 Hp utility pump https://www.ruralking.com/Store/detail.aspx?ID=1889 that has a reducer to attach a garden hose to. I secure a rope on one side of the pool, walk to the other side and put it through the handle of the pump, hold it up until the pump slides down/out to the middle, then secure it. The rope keeps the pump upright, just above the cover and I loop the cord on it to keep it dry(PLUG IT INTO A GFCI.) I plug it in when too much water accumulates.

I also have a leaf cover that sags when wet, and makes a tea on top if I don't get the leafs out of the water. I lace a rope (really it's nylon twine) across several times to keep the net and leafs up out of the water. Once all of the trees are done dropping, I take the net off. The rope for the pump is a 1/4 or 5/16, bigger then the twine. Hope it works for you!

haybird said:
I have a sumbmersible pump I use to lower the pool.
But it seems to big and heavy to use to pump off the cover.
It uses a 1"1/2 hose. I have seen some little pumps that use a garden hose.

These seem perfect but they say "not recommend for inground pools"
Has anybody tried one of these or know of one that will work at a reasonable price?
Thanks for any input

My solid vinyl cover (anchor) came with a small cover pump ("Rule" Pool Cover Pump), that cycles every 2 min. It sits on top of the cover-probably weighs 7lbs. If water has collected on top of the cover, the motor stays running. Attached is the specs. It has worked great for 3 seasons now. I attach a garden hose to the pump discharge, and run a 20ft garden hose to outside the pool fence.

The only problem I have had is the hose freezing up-fixed by ensuring the hose has an upward elevation to its end (3"), so when the pump stops, any water in the hose drains back to the pump and keeps the lines clear (and no ice)

I just checked and Amazon also sells them for $138.00 or you can "google" search for other retailers

Attachments

• pool pump 001.jpg
    pool pump 001.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 397
I imagine the only reason it would say not recommended for inground pool use is that it doesn't meet ASTM F1346-91, which is basically a water flow issue for safety covers. I think they're also required to have an auto on/off switch. Yours should do the trick just fine, the rule pump will just get it done faster.

Another vote for the Rule pump. Mine is now on its fourth season and it is on the pool fall to spring. My local pool stores only sold a popular 1/5 hp model with a mechanical float type auto on/off. I went through three in two seasons before I got the Rule. My NJ climate is such that we can go from rain to freeze and back again several times per winter so I need a pump that can stay out there straight through. The Rule pump electronic on/off control is designed to handle freezes because it will not turn on IF either a) there is no water at the punp intake or b) the discharge line is blocked due to ice or anything else. The mechanical float switch only looks for water at the float and will burn out if the discharge line is frozen but there is water on the cover or if there is water to the float but crud blocks the pump intake.

TIP 1: I put the pump inside a camping type mesh bag; this keeps leaf crud out of the pump. NJ pinoaks shed leaves all the way until spring and this really helps. TIP 2: Don't mess with ropes, just set the pump up and slide it out with a pool brush--a little water on the cover helps but is usually not needed. Pull it off with the hose, not the power cord.

Gotta say stay away from the Rule pump as shown in that picture.
I also got one with my cover and it burned out within the first five months I had it. Started running all the time then wouldn't turn on at all.
It leaked and the circuit board was fried and the motor's bearing was shot also.

It will be a full month before I can get a new one under warranty.
I called Rule (number is 978-281-0440 ext 1 for anyone who needs it) and was asked for the date stamp on the side of the pump. If you can't find it peel up and look under the label as they tell you to toss it out anyway. Once you give them the date code they ask for you address and say ok we'll send it.
Now it is three weeks later and I have called for the third time asking where it is and they say it has shipped and will be there next week.
Jerks if I ever have seen any. Meanwhile I am in the middle of rainy season and trying to do what I can to keep my cover on the TOP of my pool! As well as trying to combat the mosquitoes breeding in my cover pool.

So take it from me if you don't have one of these...don't buy it!
If you do make sure you call and ask for replacement at the very first sign of any foul play from it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to update this thread for any who come searching and find it...
I eventually did get my replacement pump after a month of having a pool on my pool cover.
Now in march 2011 the replacement has broken as well. I used this one to get the water off the cover last year that had been left by the first pump dying and then opened not long after that and then used it since closing last fall.
I only power these pumps when it rains so they don't cycle every two mins. for months that they don't need to.
I even took silicone and covered the top where the power cord goes into it and it has never been submerged and yet it still breaks in one season of use. Sad. Will be calling rule for another replacement.
Then looking for an alternative.

danbutter said:
Will be calling rule for another replacement. Then looking for an alternative.
This is the one I use. It works quite well. I add a 90 at the output so that the hose does not get kinked.

22603.gif

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.