Just plain wrong, but good results.

skimmerswimmer

Jul 30, 2013
Long Island, NY
As a fairly new pool owner, I have been reading this forum for the past couple of years and I have certainly learned a lot from all the great posts and information, but in all honesty, I am getting great results with my pool even though I am not following the BBB method. Here is my situation and my thoughts...

We purchased the house a few years ago and the 20x40 gunite pool, built in the mid 70s, was previously opened/closed and maintained every 2 weeks by a pool company hired by the previous owners. Last year, the pool plaster was removed and a Pebbletec Fina surface was installed as well as all new equipment (heater, Quad DE filter, Pump, etc.). Though the season was a short one due to all the work that was done, the water was the best I have ever seen it. The previous filter was a sand filter and while the water was always clear and bright, it was never as nice as it is now. The only chlorination method ever used with this pool has been through the use of a Hayward chlorinator with 3" pucks. I now do the closing and opening myself.

While I would love to get one of those Stenner pumps and 15 gal container systems to feed liquid chlorine into the pool, I have to say that the pucks have been working fine since we purchased the house 3 years ago. My CYA levels seem to range from the low 40s at the beginning of the season into the mid 60s by the end of the season. If it ever climbs to high, I'll drain a bit and refill.

I also use the Lamotte ColorQ Pro 7 kit instead of the Taylor kit and my readings are repeatable and in-line with the pool store readings whenever I bring a sample in. I'm color blind, so I don't think the Taylor kit would be great for me. With the new DE filter and my readings typically FCL/TCL = 4, PH mid 7s, ALK 80-90, CH 250ish my water looks to be perfect all season long. I do add acid as needed to keep the PH in line and other chemicals as needed for alkalinity and hardness (very rarely), but the pool is sparkling...never seen it better. I'm also extremely particular about keeping the pool clean through skimming (3 times a day) and brushing weekly, and also use skimmer socks (paint filters from Home Depot) and I vacuum regularly to prevent any staining from organics sitting on the bottom.

Although the pool looks awesome, I feel like I'm breaking all the rules using a non-standard testing kit, and pucks instead of bleach. So my question to you all is, would changing to a Stenner pump system, liquid chlorine and a Taylor kit really improve my results at all?

Heretic! Stone him!
attachment.php
:whip::grrrr::suspect:

:mrgreen:

Where have you been hiding? We got rid of BBB last year. It's now the TFP way. Too many people who would never need it stockpiled borax and baking soda thinking it was the magic pill and then discovered it wasn't. Hence the new name.

Pucks are fine, as long as you can keep everything adjusted. The TFP philosophy is not about specific chemicals, but about understanding the interrelationships and side effects, and not adding anything you don't need. And using cheaper but chemically identical products that are cheaper than pool store stuff. Generally, it's simpler to adjust one parameter at a time, which is why we recommend bleach. Trichlor messes with pH and CYA and juggling three parameters at once is a pain.

As long as you understand what's going on, do whatever works for you.

As long as you understand what's going on, do whatever works for you.
Exactly. TFP teaches you to understand your pool and understand why you make adjustments to it.

Our methods work on virtually every pool and pool owner on the planet. If what you do works well for you, then I wouldn't change a thing.

As others have said, do,what works for you. You are probably in the "sweet spot" where the amount of water you drain when you close plus the rain you add to the pool over the winter dilutes the CYA sufficiently to allow you to use the pucks for the following swim season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.