Jul 2, 2013
Central Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all,

Sorry for what will be a long OP but after such a good first year on the BBB system, a few monkey wrenches have been thrown into our system this year and I'm sort of struggling to keep up. As a brief review, after having the best looking water we ever had last year, we ran our system through the colder weather this winter (never shutting the system down for the winter but running only on days where cold might be a problem). No problems there at all.

I was surprised and pleased how clean our water stayed all winter (despite really doing nothing to it the entire winter). However, as the calendar turned to April and into May, we have had one of the wettest springs on record in Arkansas. Before we received any meaningful amount of warm weather to really get the grass growing, we have had a six week period where almost all of our soil has been full saturated.

There is one other new factor I should note here - the good water quality of April (seen in the second photo) has given way to a dirtier version courtesy of our two lab puppies (seen in the first photo).

Young puppies + constantly wet soil + puppies running rampant around yard = lots of dirt in the pool.

I've been reading previous threads here about dogs and pools and I know one area where I have missed the boat has to do with a skimmer sock to trap the dog hair. As a result, I have to believe my sand filter may have a good bit of dog hair trapped within. Additionally, I've also not been running my Dolphin pool cleaner nearly enough. So I know I have two action items right there.

My test numbers still look pretty good but the pool visually looks dirty thanks to all of the dirt brought in by the two labs. My CYA was low when I did my first test of the year recently and I am working to bring that number up.

With respect to controlling (limiting) the dirt, we'll need some help from Mother Nature, and more cleaning.

My question has to do with the sand filter. Can I clean the sand (using Baquacil Sand Filter Cleaner) - is this stuff strong enough to dissolve the dog hair in the sand filter - or should I change the sand?

Either way, I am getting a sock to put on both skimmer inlets but is there any other advice anyone can offer when dealing with a lot of dirt and dog hair in a pool?

Thanks all!

Attachments

• Pool at present.jpg
    Pool at present.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC_0158 (1).jpg
    DSC_0158 (1).jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 92
Dog hair will backwash out of the filter just fine. Hair can require more frequent backwashing, or in extreme cases clog up the pump, but shouldn't cause any other issues.

There is hardly ever any need to use a chemical sand cleaner. They are meant for a rather uncommon situation involving large quantities of oil, for example suntan lotion, getting into the filter. Likewise, there is practically never any reason to replace the sand. Sand will last forever as long as it doesn't accumulate calcium scaling in the filter and turn to rock.

Tim,

I came over from the dark side last year - converting from a Baquacil pool to the TFP method. I still have a few items left from my dark days and one of those is a Baquacil Filter Cleaner.

Jason,

Thanks for that info though. I was hoping my sand would last longer - glad to hear it should!

One follow up question if I could - under the TFP method, how often should I change my sand?
What should I look for as a cue to change my sand?

Love the pic of the dog jumping into the pool! :-D

Tim5055 - the cleaning made a definite improvement today. I couldn't get a follow up pic because every time I started outside today, it rained again (aarrrggghhh!) but I will put one up as soon as the weather allows. As an aside, turning the pump back on after the deep cleaning produced a flow rate I had not seen in some time!

Thanks Pooldv - she is that happy when it comes to pool time!
Here another version of that photo...

Attachments

• Many Mallerys low res.jpg
    Many Mallerys low res.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 60

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While I'm going to fight a continuous battle with dirt in the pool (courtesy of the labs), deep cleaning the pool filter made a world of difference.

Here we are today:
IMG_20150525_185149257.jpg

Nice! Is it muddy feet? What about getting a kiddie pool from the sporting goods store, I saw on less than 3' diameter thet might be good to dunk the dogs in first, if you can catch them!

Nice! Is it muddy feet? What about getting a kiddie pool from the sporting goods store, I saw on less than 3' diameter thet might be good to dunk the dogs in first, if you can catch them!

We've tried that approach, Pooldv - only to watch them sprint right past the kiddie poll and dive right into the big pool.....

However, a little training might (at least) get them to use the kiddie pool (on occasion) prior to getting in.....it sure can't hurt!

I have 7 dogs. But mostly it's my German Sheppard who loves the water resulting in a good amount of hair in the pool. I use a skimmer sock which catches most of it before it gets to my pump basket or pump. Some people use a nylon stocking. I use a 1-gal paint strainer net from Home Depot. It catches a lot of junk before getting past the skimmer. As for the dirt and mud - we're soaked in S. Texas as well. The dogs do bring-in a bit or dirt, but so do my teenage boys. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.