cloudy water

removed pool cover last weekend. Tested the water chlorine 0
ph 8.2
TA 310
CYA filled cylinder and still saw black dot
CH 300

I have put a granular stabilizer in socks and been testing daily and using poolmath. The water is blue in color but cloudy. Two days ago did the drop tesy.
FC 4.5
CC 1
TC 5.5
Since then started adding 85 oz and then a gallon of bleach. Today ran tests
CL 5-10
PH 7.2-7.5
TA 240
CH100
CYA can still see a cloudy black dot

Drop test
FC 8
CC 1
TC 9
Water is still cloudy blue

Welcome to TFP!

sullivanpool said:
I have put a granular stabilizer in socks and been testing daily and using poolmath.
How many days after you placed the sock of CYA in the skimmer passed before you ran your second test? And how much of the granular stabilizer did you add?

Note that it may take up to a week before the newly added CYA (stabilizer) shows up on a test. However, for chlorine dosing purposes, 24 hours after you place the CYA sock in the skimmer you would dose as though all of the CYA you added is in the pool.

CL 5-10
PH 7.2-7.5
TA 240
CH100
What are you testing with? These results, especially the chlorine and pH, show ranges which are indicative of using multi-test strips.

Bottom line is you need to SLAM Process your pool. To do that, you need:
  1. A FAS-DPD chlorine test which includes a powder and liquid reagents. You can get this individual test or one of the Recommended Test Kits here: http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html
  2. An understanding of what your true CYA level is and how to dose accordingly with chlorine as shown in the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
The most important point about the SLAM to understand is that it is an ongoing process until the conditions specified in the SLAM article are met. It is not a one-time addition of a higher than normal amount of chlorine .

Welcome to TFP!

Cloudy water is the first step of an algae bloom, then green, then swamp. To prevent cloudy water and algae the chlorine level must be maintained above the minimum level for your CYA level at all times. Wifh no CYA the sun will burn off chlorine quickly.

To eliminate the algae at this point you need to slam as Bo suggested.

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read while you wait for your test kit
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

I did purchase the tf100 kit. The color of the CL matched what is on the tester and PH tests fell in-between the 7.2 to 7.5. The sock of stabilizer was just hanging in the pool, that is what the installer said to do, not in the skimmer as maybe it should be. The pool math suggested 64oz of stabilizer.
I have the FAS-DPD and used that to get the FC, CC and TC. I will keep the CL up, move the sock to skimmer and read the suggested articles and see what happens. Thanks for your assistance

Sock can hang in the pool in front of a return or go into the skimmer basket. Either is fine. Give it a squeeze a few times per day to speed up the dissolving.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.