Pool is green. please help

Hello Missyjo, and welcome to TFP. You're in the right place. Based on your intro, I can tell you the following which you will hear & see many times here on TFP:
- Do NOT rely or trust pool store results! We strongly urge you to purchase one of the recommended test kits (see my signature) to do your own testing
- Many will be reluctant to provide advice until we know you have accurate readings ... but ....
- "IF" these readings were accurate, "Stabilizer" is your CYA (Cyanuric Acid); it protects your chlorine like sunscreen (TFP will tell you how to add)
- Your chlorine level (free chlorine) is quite low, and you should read the SLAM procedures on this site (see pool school on home page)

Again, I hesitate to give too much info because really you MUST have a good test kit (i.e. TF-100); it will pay for itself in results! Lots more advise to follow from TFP. Welcome! :)

Welcome to to TFP!

CYA is the same as stabilizer, it really can't be measured at 3ppm, the test is not that precise. The reason your pool is green is because of algae. The reason you have algae is because there is not enough chlorine in the pool. Chlorine must be maintained above the minimum level for your CYA level at all times or algae will grow. Chlorine CYA Chart.

If your CYA is really 0 (or 3) then you need to keep at least 3ppm of chlorine in the pool and test morning and evening. CYA protects chlorine from the sun so you will need to add some.

PH is fine
TA and CH can be worked on later.
Don't know what SI is but it is not important.

You really need to get one of these kits from the Test Kit Comparison. I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read while you wait for your test kit
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

SI is Saturation Index, a.k.a. CSI, or Calcite Saturation Index.
:)
Welcome to to TFP!

CYA is the same as stabilizer, it really can't be measured at 3ppm, the test is not that precise. The reason your pool is green is because of algae. The reason you have algae is because there is not enough chlorine in the pool. Chlorine must be maintained above the minimum level for your CYA level at all times or algae will grow. Chlorine CYA Chart.

If your CYA is really 0 (or 3) then you need to keep at least 3ppm of chlorine in the pool and test morning and evening. CYA protects chlorine from the sun so you will need to add some.

PH is fine
TA and CH can be worked on later.
Don't know what SI is but it is not important.

You really need to get one of these kits from the Test Kit Comparison. I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read while you wait for your test kit
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Hi Missyjo,
welp, you are one in a long line of folks with the same problem of folks coming for help and dont know what to do. Dont worry, we can help, but it will take a little time and effort but in the end, you will be way ahead of you decide to use the TFP method of clearing up your pool.

To start, in oder to get on top of the algae and stay ahead of it and kill it, you are going to have to do a LOT of testing. Almost all pool store testing is Very poor. The best investment you can make long term (and near), is to invest in a reliable test kit so that you can test your own water. YOu will need to do that muliple times a day.
I recommend you get the TF100 test kit with the XL option. www.tftestkits.net

Next, when you have a recommended test kit, will be to start the SLAM process. Shock Level, And Maintain. What that means is raising your chlorine to Shock Level and keeping it there until all the algae is dead and gone and your pool is again beautiful blue. i know thats sounds like foreign language, but its really a well proven and thought process. Here is an article of how to do it. You should book mark this so you can refer to it regularly.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

No need to worry about TA or CH until your water is clear. As mentioned, a good reliable test kit is a necessity to both clear your pool, and then maintain it properly after the water is cleared up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.