Please Help!

AdamS

Bronze Supporter
May 5, 2015
New Milford, New Jersey
Hi Everyone.
I am hoping for some guidance; I just had my pool opened Wednesday, I cleaned it the past couple of days and then had the water tested (I did buy the recommended test kit but just this once brought it to pool store). My alkalinity was at 0--the pool store tried getting me to buy $70 worth of stuff but I did not-----I added baking soda using the pool calculator for amount;

Questions
Now my water is SUPER cloudy, is that normal for awhile?

I used baking soda that is fresh burst, was that a mistake?

When/how do I add bleach as my chlorine?

Do you not use shock at all using the BBB method?

I am feeling overwhelmed right now, appreciate any help/advice/guidance!:confused:

Thank you!

First, post a full set of test results before we start shouting suggestions. Is there any chlorine in the water? That would be my first priority but I do want to see the other readings.

I didn't know that! I guess I wrongly assumed they were accurate, I didn't even test it myself--I have my kit, but can I test now after all the baking soda I put in or do I need to wait?
LAST TIME I'M GOING TO POOL STORE!

what should I do? I made a beautiful looking pool, super cloudy, aaaah! Ok thanks!

You would think they would be better, but unfortunately not. I trust your numbers having never done a test more than theirs.

Yes, as long as the pump has been running go,ahead and break open that new test kit. Which one do you have?

And the idea to stay away for. The pool store is a good one. We will teach you to save money by showing at WalMart and Lowes.

Welcome Adam!

Right away there is a huge gaping hole in those numbers. It is against the laws of physics to have 0 TA and 6.3 pH. Strictly impossible. One thing we teach is learn your testing, and trust your own results. Begin spending some time in pool school and start with the ABCs. Knowledge is the key and once you build some, this stuff is really easy.

Welcome Adam!

Right away there is a huge gaping hole in those numbers. It is against the laws of physics to have 0 TA and 6.3 pH. Strictly impossible. One thing we teach is learn your testing, and trust your own results. Begin spending some time in pool school and start with the ABCs. Knowledge is the key and once you build some, this stuff is really easy.
there you go, pointing out issues. But, is it the laws of physics or chemistry?

Oh my god, thanks guys. Ok I will test myself, I have the taylor k-2006 complete;
I am assuming I put in too much baking soda, I know you will wait for my results but I will be able to fix that? Is there anything I need to go buy, I need to run out now if there is something;
I have bleach, shock, borax already...thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hold off on any more additions until we get some numbers. No worries, we can help line you out when you get some solid readings.

- - - Updated - - -

there you go, pointing out issues. But, is it the laws of physics or chemistry?

:lol:
Take your pick, they are a little tough to seperate, but it really depends on who you ask. :mrgreen:

ok used my kit for first time, it wasnt bad and really regretting not doing this in first place!! Ok cant go back, hopefully you will help me going forward!

Heres what I found:
The free chlorine did not turn color at all!

The PH was a dark purple, higher than 8 I'm thinking and I put a bunch of the acid test and it was not changing

For the Alkanny it took 14 drops at that spot its 140--sound accurate?

Calcium Hardness, 300;

ok now what? Shock? Bleach?
Thank you for your help!!

Step one, get the pH down. That takes muratic acid. I'd like to see 7.5

Step two, chlorine - add some bleach

Pool Math is your friend. Plug in your numbers and it will guide you to your additions.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

in the future, it's easier on our eyes if you report your findings lie this

FC
pH
TA
CH

Ok thanks..quick questions:

I will do the muratic acid, do I wait to do the bleach until the ph is down? Also, I have vinyl pool, muratic acid is safe, correct?

Also, I think I inaccurately described it as cloudy, its more like soapy from too much baking soda (the fresh birst smell no less- I am so mad at myself!!), will this go away, should I drain some of the water first or just follow your steps?

Thank you again, hope we get to use the pool this weekend

Well, I missed one thing, but so did you. What did the CYA test reveal for you. The pool store said 109 (nothing is that exact). But you didn't give me a number from your test. The CYA level is what controls how much FC you need to keep in the pool. So, tomorrow,when the sun is nice and bright do a CYA test. It works best when sunny.

If if it is high, the. Yes you need to replace some water before you start worrying about other levels.

Sorry I missed it.....

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing we suggest will harm your liner if you follow the instructions. For most additions , pouring chemicals slowly in front of a return with the pump running will disperse the chemical so no damage will occur.

Well, I have added the muratic acid, will re-test everything in the morning, including cya.
What level would cya be at for you to tell me to drain some water? how much water do you drain at one time?

Feeling quite discouraged. Woke up this morning with crystal clear nice looking pool water; now it looks like soapy mess that I made!
I hope I can fix this water and get 2nd chance, I am feeling much more comfortable with test kit!
Thank you everyone for your help.

One sec...

Are you sure you used baking soda? Googling Baking Soda Fresh Burst all I came up with was laundry detergent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.