NEED HELP - When Vacuuming to waste jets blowing dirty JUNK

Pfisher

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 22, 2015
Germantown, TN
I am a new pool owner trying to figure out my pool equipment. BTW this forum is really helpful - thank you to all the experienced posters!

I flocked my pool and when vacuuming to waste noticed yucky stuff coming out of the jets. The filter was bypassed so I can't figure out what is happening. Any ideas?

Thank you,

Welcome to TFP!

What exactly do you mean by "the filter was bypassed"?

If anything is coming out of the returns while the multiport handle is set to "Waste", you probably have a bad multiport gasket (spider gasket).

Welcome to TFP!

What exactly do you mean by "the filter was bypassed"?

If anything is coming out of the returns while the multiport handle is set to "Waste", you probably have a bad multiport gasket (spider gasket).

Ok. Thank you. That makes sense. We haven't been able to get pool clear and have done everything. All chemicals were perfect but pool still looked terrible. I thought it was my sand filter but I changed sand 2 years ago. Pool guy replaced handle but gasket looked bad so he put in another valve to close waste ( we were losing water). Gasket looks hard to dig out and replace correctly. Seems like that was a waste of $$. I will order whole new piece that has handle new gasket and hooks up to piping.

Ok, back to your first subject which HAS to be solved. You have set the multi-port valve to "Waste" and you have debris and water flowing out of the return jets.....is that correct?

Help us help you by solving one issue at a time. Are you turning off the pump when you are moving the multi-port handle?

Ok, back to your first subject which HAS to be solved. You have set the multi-port valve to "Waste" and you have debris and water flowing out of the return jets.....is that correct?

Help us help you by solving one issue at a time. Are you turning off the pump when you are moving the multi-port handle?

yes. When I vacuum I turn the pump off and move valve to waste. Then turn off other water features and vacuum from skimmer to waste. When I'm vacuuming I see JUNK coming out of jets. I changed my valve last week but not the spider valve which looked terrible. My husband changed spider valve today. Will vacuum again tomorrow and cross my fingers...

thank you!

Ok - still having issues. I am in the process of SLAM since I could not get pool to clear. I have changed Multiport Valve and installed new spider gasket. My pool is SUPER CLOUDY, however it did hold the FC level overnight. When vacuuming this morning (to waste ) again I noticed a small amount of junk coming out of the return jets (could it just be stirring particles around since the water is so bad...?)

I will post levels in a bit because just added some acid to bring PH down. FC was 25. Going to wait a couple of hours and test again to determine what needs to be done. Using pool calculator and Cal Hypo to shock since hardness was low.
Thank you !

There should be no water flowing through the returns at all when the filter valve is set to waste.

John,

Any ideas of what's going on? I've just now started paying attention to this due to my problem of cloudy water. Not sure if I should keep slamming or if I have another issue. Big issue is that pool looks terrible...

Thank you!

How big is your filter and what kind of flow rate are you running on your pump?

What valve do you have? Most if not all of them don't have replaceable spider gaskets. You replace the entire diverter assembly.

How big is your filter and what kind of flow rate are you running on your pump?

What valve do you have? Most if not all of them don't have replaceable spider gaskets. You replace the entire diverter assembly.

Bought a new valve from pool company because it didn't turn well and losing water. I should have purchased whole valve but at the time didn't know. When it was leaking water pool guy said "spider valve looks bad - replace it too". I'm done with PB since he should have had me replace whole thing. My husband replaced spider valve and pool is holding water. I thought we had that part fixed but not sure. I have a triton TR -60. Although sand is 3 yrs old I thought that would be my next fix since I've tried everything else. Since pool is still full of white stuff also thought floc may help speed process. Thx

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to give you flow rate. Running 2650 on Intelliflo -24 x 7. Think that should be close to 2 turns a day. Didn't want to speed it up more because I thought filter would not be as efficient. I also have Polaris 280 running a few hrs a day. Thought I would stop running and let things drop so when I vacuum I could get more junk? Thx

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bought a new valve from pool company because it didn't turn well and losing water. I should have purchased whole valve but at the time didn't know. When it was leaking water pool guy said "spider valve looks bad - replace it too". I'm done with PB since he should have had me replace whole thing. My husband replaced spider valve and pool is holding water. I thought we had that part fixed but not sure. I have a triton TR -60. Although sand is 3 yrs old I thought that would be my next fix since I've tried everything else. Since pool is still full of white stuff also thought floc may help speed process. Thx

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to give you flow rate. Running 2650 on Intelliflo -24 x 7. Think that should be close to 2 turns a day. Didn't want to speed it up more because I thought filter would not be as efficient. I also have Polaris 280 running a few hrs a day. Thought I would stop running and let things drop so when I vacuum I could get more junk? Thx

FC -18
7.4 Ph
140 TA
CYA 50
190 CH
Pool is still very cloudy. Pool held FC at 25 last night and early this morning. Will keep shocking and brushing,and vacuuming until clear?
Thanks!

You are going to have to figure out what is going on with your filter. It's not right, and it may be bypassing the sand when it runs.

You are going to have to figure out what is going on with your filter. It's not right, and it may be bypassing the sand when it runs.

Ok. Do you think I can bring shock level down? I've been holding at 30 FC for four days now. It held overnight test but water is still bad. I just purchased some DE. thought I would try that too. i guess if ends up back in pool through the returns I will know it's not being filtered correctly.
Thank you for your help!

Ok. Do you think I can bring shock level down? I've been holding at 30 FC for four days now. It held overnight test but water is still bad. I just purchased some DE. thought I would try that too. i guess if ends up back in pool through the returns I will know it's not being filtered correctly.
Thank you for your help!

Added DE. Didn't see it come out return jets. Think I will bring shock level down to FC 10. I want to ensure PH level is in right range. Also, moving forward I will shock only with Bleach to rule out cal hypo cloudiness. Last thing I can do is change sand and inspect filter since I have done everything else. Don't know what else it could be..

Slamming since Sat but still cloudy and not passing OCLT test.
Striving for FC29 - changed sand in filter on Sat morning pool looked better on Sunday so I started the SLAM
Recent readings
FC - 12
PH - last time I checked it was 7.4 (on Sunday when I restarted the SLAM)
CYA - 50

Pool is looking better but still can't get over the hump. Cloudy in the deep end. Running Polaris a lot to vacuum and. Brushing like crazy. Is it ok to get FC to 50-60 instead of 29 to speed the process.? I'm using bleach and cal hypo but I'm losing patience and ready for this to be over. Any ideas to move this along would be appreciated. Thank you !
TA- 120
CH - 250

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.