Need Reassurance with my SLAM...

meggie

May 2, 2015
ambler, pa
Hi Everyone,

Long time listener, first time caller :)

Very long story short, last summer was our first with a pool, and we were hard-core "pool stored." I came across TFPC over the winter, became obsessive, and decided to switch over. When we took the cover off last weekend, the pool was green, but manageable looking. My first results with the TF-100 had our CYA at an unreadable amount. I am guessing 250? We decided to get 11,000 gallons of water trucked in to do a partial drain and refill. (We are on a well, the water is hard, and I don't know the status of our well pump equipment enough to risk filling from the well.)

I started the SLAM process yesterday, and wanted to post my numbers from yesterday and today to see if you all think I am making good progress. The pool looks SUPER clear, but we are still losing FC at a pretty high rate. I guess that means press on... Let me know! Thanks so much!

Yesterday Pre-SLAM:
FC - 0
CC 0
pH - 7.2
TA - 140
CH - 350
CYA - 110 (best guess - I did it with 2:1 dilution, and the black dot disappeared between 50 and 60)

added like 12 gallons of 8.25% over the course of the day, trying to keep above 26

8PM:
FC - 21
CC - 1.5
added 3 gallons of 8.25%, shooting for 31

9AM:
FC - 15
CC - 1
added 4 gallons of 8.25%, shooting for 31

10:30AM:
FC - 30
CC - .5
no addition of bleach, will retest again in a little bit

IMG_3532.jpg
This picture is from right when we took the cover off.

IMG_3546.jpg
This picture is from this morning.

Welcome to,TFP!

You seem to be doing great, keep it up.

I will caution you that with diluted tests the error rate on the CYA test goes up. When you tested at 55 the error rate saw +/- 10-15%. So your CYA could have been in the range of 45-65. Doubling the 55 you also end up with a doubled error rate. So, your 110 could really be basically 75 - 145.

I guess that was a long way of saying if the OCLT won't pass you may need to up your shock level some and hold it a little higher.

Right now it seems you have passed two parts of the SLAM, clear water and CC less than .5. Tonight should be telling.

Oh, and I think you might listen to a little too much talk radio......

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll keep an eye on it, and increase the shock level, if we can't pass the OCLT.

We are also thinking of switching to a SWG after we pass the SLAM - I am going back to school in August and want to have this as automated as possible before then. I have time to futz around now, but with two kids and class, I think I want this to be as Trouble Free as possible!

Wonderful!! Glad you passed

Please remember, that even with automated additions of chlorine you still need to test regularly. It's easy to let life get in the way, but too many folks find out they are not adding enough chlorine or a SWCG has stopped working only after the pool goes green.

+1 on what Tim says. It is very important not to let the chlorine level fall below the minimum for your CYA level. Never, ever. Or algae will start growing

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.