Temperature device to turn on pump

Jun 1, 2008
North Carolina
We have an above ground pool in North Carolina that we are considering leaving open this winter. It has been our first season with a pool. I read through lots of posts and a few people mentioned that the pump needs to be run when the temperature drops below freezing. I also read that there may be some sort of device that will turn on your pump automatically when the temperature drops below freezing. Is there an actual name for this that I can google to find where I can purchase one?
Is there anything special we need to do to winterize the pool if we are leaving it open? What I have gathered so far is - check chemicals about once a week. Clean leaves and debris out. Vacuum occasionally as needed. Add bleach maybe once a week as needed. Run pump maybe once a day and run pump if temperature drops below freezing. Am I missing anything? Thanks for the help!

You've got the right idea on keeping a pool open all year :goodjob:

I wish I could help with the freeze protection switch (automatically turns the pump on when the temp drops below a preset limit) - I'm sure someone else here is familiar with them and can help :)

Have a good winter (whether the pool is open or closed) :wink: The site is open 12 months out of the year, please stop by from time to time - if nothing else, we can all talk about how lucky the Ausies are to be swimming in January :mrgreen:

I am looking at doing the same thing as the original poster, and googled the intermatic timer/thermostat. The price range for the same model number was surprising- about a $80 difference among several sites. Why so much variety in price? Googled part # PF1103T Timer with thermostat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.