Should salt turn water cloudy??

sackmonkey

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2014
Clarkston, MI
I have installed my Circupool Si-60 SWG, but haven't powered it up yet. I wanted to get the water balanced and warmed up first. Yesterday, with 63 degF water, I dumped 15 bags (600lbs) of Diamond Crystal blue solar salt into it. If I'm doing my Poolmath correctly, starting from 400ppm of salt, I should need about 900lbs of salt to get to 3500ppm. I wanted to creep up on the target rather than overshoot it, so I started with just 600lbs. I immediately noticed the returns turn a milky color as the dissolved salt started moving through the system. My water clouded over a lot and the salt took a lot longer to dissolve than I was expecting from reading posts here (a few hours rather than 30-60 minutes I was expecting). Annoyed with the delay, I turned my robot loose to suck it off the bottom and into the system (with the filter set to recirculate). After it all seemed to be dissolved, I switched back to normal filtering.

Today, after 20 hours of filtering, the water is still a little cloudier than it was before adding salt. Is this a normal side effect of the salt in super cold water temps, or is there something else I should be concerned with?

My only first-hand experience with a SWG pool is my neighbor's, which looked pretty crystal clear to me, so I'm assuming salt should have zero effect on water clarity. Correct?

I didn't manage to get a test in tonight after work, but my results as of yesterday evening (prior to adding the final 3 bags of salt) were:
Salt: 2800 (per the Taylor drop test kit, not strips)
FC: 21.5
CC: 0
CH: 125
TA: 180
CYA: 70

Prior to bumping up my FC, my PH was at 7.3~7.5. I raised the FC because the water seemed to have a greenish hue to it. Upon opening this past Saturday, I have had three 50% drain/refills to slowly get the CYA from 200+ down to a manageable level. I filled with well water, so it's possible the supply water has some iron in it causing the green tint.

Any suggestions/guidance would be greatly welcomed. I've spent all winter reading about TFP methods (after buying this house late last winter and following the puck method the pool-stored previous owner had) and now I want to start the season off correctly.

Rob

No that is not normal. Salt might cause a little local cloudiness right when you add it, but cloudiness that sticks around is very unusual.

Your TA is a bit high. There is a remote chance that you had a little calcium clouding, but that seems unlikely. You can confirm if this is an issue by lower PH below 7.7, if it isn't below there already.

I didn't add any chlorine today, so I expect it will be below 10 tomorrow and I'll be able to get another PH reading.

Also, I "fixed" (hot wired) my broken heater thermostat, so I'm actively warming up the water now.. maybe that will help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.