Greenhorn.....First tf100 test....lots of questions

Updated testing results as of 6:00 am 5/26

FC 29
CC 1
PH 6.8
CYA 70

Questions on the following:

1. If overnight FC went down it would mean that bleach is still addressing issues in the water-I believe this is what I read, in turn I will keep maintaining shock FC level.
2. What causes CC to increase overnight?
3. because I had previously had wrong CYA level, I'm now going to maintain shock FC level to corresponding 70 CYA shock level.

The water does look better than yesterday.

Thanks

Greg

Just checking in with update on test results:

FC CC PH CYA

25-May

12:00 PM 51 0 7.2 75
2:00 PM 44 0 7.2 70
5:00 PM 38 0 7.2 70
8:45 PM 42 0 7.2

26-May
6:00 AM 29 1 6.8 70
12:30 PM 36 0.5 6.8 65
8:00 PM 30 1 7.2 70

27-May
6:00 AM 26 1 7.2 65
1:45 PM 27 0 7.2 65

Because overnight from 5/26 to 5/27 only went down by 4 I will continue the process. Although the water does look clear.

Thanks

Greg

Thanks for the update Greg.

Don't test PH with levels above 10 FC it won't be accurate.

Did you do a lot of water adding or get a lot of rain for your CYA to drop so much?

- - - Updated - - -

You will be done soon I am sure

OK

1. FC reading from last night 10:00 pm & this morning 6:00 am remained the same!

2. Water is clear.

3. CC reading this morning .5.

I'M DONE!!!!!!

Just so I'm clear on procedure going forward.

Because my CYA has been averaging 65-70 I will need to maintain FC level of 7-8.

In turn, I let the current chlorine level burn down to a level of 7-8 and then just maintain by adding bleach when needed and continuing other tests.

If I'm not doing slam any longer at what FC level can I start bringing PH back up and do I bring it to 7.5.

Thanks

Greg

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I've seen reference to liquid bleach feeder, what exactly is this and is it recommended over pouring jugs directly into pool.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes FC 7-8. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

At FC < 10 pH test is valid. TFP recommends 7.5-7.8 Pool School - Recommended Levels
I personally target a little lower since I constantly fight rising pH

I have no idea what a liquid bleach feeder is. There is no problem adding bleach directly into the pool. Some people have salt water generated chlorine that they swear by, but I have no problem adding a little bleach to the pool ever 1-2 days.

Great job!

Make sure while targeting 7-8 that you never let it go below 5. If you are manually adding bleach and will be away for a day or two then bring it up high enough so it doesn't go below 5 between doses.

Automated chlorine options include Salt Water Chlorine Generators, stenner pumps, and The Liquidator. The latter two add liquid chlorine from a container, the SWG creates chlorine using electricity. You can search around the forum for information on those systems and feel free to ask. Everyone is willing to share their experiences, good and bad.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

I knew you would!

Test PH and everything else after FC is lower than 10. I would maintain FC at 7

- - - Updated - - -

Also if your PH is at least 7.0 I would let it raise on its own with aeration instead of adding anything.

Thanks you everyone for help and guidance.

AZgirl, when you say aeration does that mean that I should have return inlet pointed up so it creates bubbles on water surface vs. down so you don't see any surface action.

Thanks

Greg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.