Got the pool, now what???

Sure, you can test your fill water and get an idea of where you will be. +1 that salt, CYA and bleach are a definite yes.

What good is margarita mix without tequila??? Back to Pool School! :)

As soon as you start putting water in the pool, it's safe to swim in. You don't need to worry about waiting to get everything running. This is the same water your kids bathe in, right? Just run the filter to keep it clean, and it'll be okay for a day or two. Tap water has a certain amount of chloramine in it, otherwise it would not kill fish right out of the tap.

I never bother to add liquid chlorine to mine after a refill. I just add the salt and let the SWG start doing its thing. I'll run the SWG for 12 hours or so per day for a couple of days until the FC gets to where I want it, then back it off to 3 hours/day.

You can test the fill water, sure.

If the pH is low and the TA is low, you'll need borax and baking soda. If the pH is high and the TA is above 100, you won't need either, but you'll need acid.

The only thing that's hard to find quick is CYA, which isn't all that hard to find if there's a big box hardware store or a Walmart around.

I suggest you start filling and grab a sample from the pool itself to test. Then go buy stuff. It'll take hours to fill anyway, and staring at it just makes it seem longer.

210f42eb4ab697504cb588b9a68d981c.jpg

Am I missing anything here? I've read so many posts about people having to make their own pvc fittings, I'm worried that I might have gotten something wrong, because I found everything at HD and it seems to all fit. In the spaces I will connect everything with 1.5" pipe. Is this going to work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those 90's, and possibly the other fittings, are dwv fittings, and are not pressure rated. You need schedule 40 fittings. Probably not a huge issue with the suction side, or the pressure side with an intex pump, but sch 40 is the correct way to do it, and not much more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually on the opposite side of the aisle in my area. It should have sch40 stamped on it. It will look a lot thicker than that one. It will be solid instead of where that one indents in in the middle.
Should look similar to this.
5fab577a39588a000ca13e4c577523a7.jpg

My test kit came in and today I want to purchase the chemicals I need to have on hand when I fill the pool. Here's my list, please let me know if I am missing anything:
Salt for pool ~ 120 lbs
CYA 6lbs
Mule team Borax
Baking soda
Muriatic acid
Bleach
Margarita mix

You forgot tequila!

- - - Updated - - -

Also he said it will be thicker. Don't get it confused with sch 80 which is much thicker. Not that it would hurt. It would just be overkill and cost more $$$

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, he also said "and maybe those other fittings".

Those ball valves are definitely the correct ones. I think all of HD ball valves are sch 80. The T looks like it is sch 40 to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, because you said your new to plumbing, make sure you use pvc primer and cement.

This is a common one purchased.
11592b13-a2d8-4e22-806c-6c3ab50e6f84_400.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the advice and pics included, very nice! Pooldv reminded me of the tequila and I did get the pvc glue stuff. I'm assuming the glue stuff has instructions. The piece btw the hose and the T is the bottom fitting from the Hayward skimmer. I've seen in other posts people seem to have the hose connected to it, so I thought that would be the easiest. I have to ask- the intex hoses are not nearly as thick as the pvc I got, so why are we not concerned about the pressure rating of the hose?

The intex pumps are tiny, and don't put out much pressure. With the glue and cleaner, take the cleaner and run around the two pieces you are joining about and inch or so on each one. Wait a second and it will dry. Take the glue and do the same thing. Push the pieces together and turn a 1/4 turn and hold them together for a few seconds. Check the curing time for the glue on the can. I think it's usually ready to use after about an hour. Possibly less, but that's a safe amount of time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.