Pool still cloudy

May 25, 2012
We have a 30,000 gal pool with vinyl liner. We are having trouble getting it clear. We opened it about 1 1/2 ago. Here are the testing results: FC 12, Combined chlorine 0.5, PH 12, Alk 275, CYA 50. Any suggestions? The shallow end is clearing up but the deep end is still very cloudy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome back! :wave:

The solution is pretty simple

attachment.php

With CYA at 50, you need to raise FC up to 20 and keep it there until the water clears. Also brush and vacuum. It's now called the Shock Level And Maintain process around here.

Ok...I have been slamming my pool without success. My numbers look good but the deep end is still cloudy. I wasn't testing the ph while shocking. I have not messed with it in a couple of days and this is what I get...ph 8, CC 0, FC 5, cya 50. The water still looks the same. Should I continue to SLAM or correct the ph? I've never had this much trouble before. I use BBB method.

Ok...I have been slamming my pool without success. My numbers look good but the deep end is still cloudy. I wasn't testing the ph while shocking. I have not messed with it in a couple of days and this is what I get...ph 8, CC 0, FC 5, cya 50. The water still looks the same. Should I continue to SLAM or correct the ph? I've never had this much trouble before. I use BBB method.

Only 5 FC? If you're doing the SLAM process, Free Chlorine should be into double digits, even after a few hours. Shock level is 20 with 50 CYA. And when it dips to 17 or 18 in a couple hours, you bring it back up to 20. The reason it's taking so long is because you're letting FC drop too low. It kills off some algae, and then gets too weak with the CYA buffering it (what pool stores call chlorine lock) and the algae starts growing again. And then you kill off a little bit again. You can't let it get back up. You need to knock it down and kick it so it can't get back up. Kick it again and again and again until it's all dead.

And if there is any debris in the bottom, it needs to be removed, because the bleach is trying to oxidize it instead of killing algae. Go back and reread the SLAM article. People have cleared black swamps in less time. If they can do it, you can do it. Just do what they did.

Just bought house with pool---probably hasn't been opened in 3 years...
Swamp to Gorgeous in 8 days!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.