DE Filter Grids, Do they need replacing?

SequoiaHosting

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2008
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your help, it is very much appreciated!

So I am thinking of holding back on buying a cartridge filter, funds are a little low at the moment and spending $600+ on a suitable filter really isn't in the budget. So I ripped apart my DE filter, which looked like a swap inside, and with lots of hosing off, they didn't look that bad. My thoughts were soaking them in a water/bleach solution for a day, maybe 1 part bleach, 10 parts water?

However, I did notice all of the bottoms of the grids were broken (no idea why they looked like that, I carefully disassembled the filter :? ), see picture below...

broken.jpg

And then one filter had a very odd red color stain on one side...

oddcolor.jpg

So I might be trying to be way too cheap, in all your professional opinions, do you think I am beating a dead horse here? Should I just sell that spare kidney and go with a cartridge filter?

Welcome to TFP!!

As was said, as long as there are no rips nor tears in the fabric of the grids - you are fine! :)

I wrote a care for DE filter post last spring, if you haven't seen it let me know and I'll link it up 8)

Cart filters have their own set of pro's and con's - your grids look like they'll still do the job for a while, even longer if you meticulously care for them :wink: Get as much use out of what you have and replace only when failure is immanent! The nice folks here will help you keep your current filter serviceable as long as possible!

I hope all is well and that you won't need a new filter for quite a while :mrgreen:

FYI-

My DE filter directions call for a once per season cleaning by soaking in a 10% solution of muriatic acid. I soak mine in the fall each year, let dry and reassemble. I store the filter in the shed through the winter and am ready to rock and roll in the spring. Might check your manufacturer for their recommended cleaning solution. The goal of the Acid is to eat away any oils / lotions/ etc on the grids. As far as I know- bleach won't accomplish the task.

I recently replaced one of my grids for $70. Steep, but better than the price of a new filter.

I also posted over the summer about switching to sand, but decided to stay with DE. I just think the water sparkles so much better when filtered through DE. I'm with the rest here- keep what ya got. Maybe spend a little on parts and keep on keepin on.

You don't want to do an acid cleaning unless you have done a soak in automatic dishwashing detergent first and then a through rinse. Actually the automatic disk washing detergent is usually plenty and you can skip the acid completely (unless you tend to have scaling problems).

JasonLion said:
You don't want to do an acid cleaning unless you have done a soak in automatic dishwashing detergent first and then a through rinse. Actually the automatic disk washing detergent is usually plenty and you can skip the acid completely (unless you tend to have scaling problems).

:!: :!: :!: 8) :goodjob:

Good answer Jason!

JasonLion said:

One of you guys mind elaborating on this point? I've only ever used bottled filter cleaner for this job. I assume the acid would react too harshly with the oils on the grids?

The problem is that un- degreased grids MAY clog up - the oils, etc. will form an impenetrable layer if not removed before putting the grids in the acid solution. (I never knew this until a couple of years ago 8) - this site and PF are the BOMB!! for useful info!!!!)

Hope all is well and we get a chance to talk 1 :1 soon! 8)

Never knew that Waste. Thanks for the info.

But isn't the point of the acid wash to de-grease as well?? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand more. If I can clean my grids with auto dish detergent- I'm all for it. The acid is a pain in the neck!!

Is the claim that I can probably skip the acid if I degrease with auto dish soap??

Where can I read more about this?

Wmshay, think about it like this - if you have a metal stain in your pool you'd use acid (ascorbic) to remove it, the acid only (~) attacks metals - like calcium and dissolves them. Oils are better dealt with by detergents (most scum line pool store products have detergents in them) - but because in a pool detergents will cause foam, it's better to use a ~ strong base to break them down (like soda ash or baking soda). Taking this to the next logical step, if a base will break them up, an acid will coagulate them :) Richard, Evan , Jason... etc., could probably tell you what's going on on the molecular level, on most of the chemistry stuff, I'm just a ~ well trained parrot :p

The real test for needing a chemical cleaning is the grids holding a couple inches of water in them after being rinsed with a hose - if the bottoms bulge and slowly pass the water out - something is congesting the membranes! If you have a calcium scaling issue in the pool, it could be calcium and NEED an acid wash -- but you're better off degreasing the grids first anyway 8)

As I said - I didn't know anything about this before I started coming to these sites, but I've seen the acid wash only, not work enough times to accept this as 'gospel' :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.