Coping for freeform pool

magicruiser

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2015
Houston TX
My pb said he only installs flagstone coping on freeform pools. I want a smooth edge, bullnose. I was thinking of travertine but pb says it will have to be cut in a million pieces and would look awful. What do you think ? Any other alternatives ?

That all depends on how smooth an edge you want. Coping is nearly always done with separate pieces that are individually straight and are set at slight angles relative to the adjoining pieces. If you don't mind that approach, there are many materials you can use. But if you want the coping to have curved edges that match the pool profile exactly, the cuts are much more difficult to do, and there are very few materials you can use.

We have a natural shaped pool and my pool builder is using belgard pavers for my coping. Not sure how they will work out but he said they'll cut them to fit just like they would stone. I think honestly pool builders shy away from materials they aren't used to using. When I find my pool builder doing that I start asking a bunch of questions until he asks the subcontractor the truth and usually they back down when they find out it can be done.

Mine won't be rounded but here are some that are...
aquastyl_coping_01.jpg

Thanks ! I'll check out the belgard pavers. I am sure there's a lot of truth to what you're saying. Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining, but my pb is focused on building a quality pool. He doesn't get into the aesthetics like I'd like him to. We are very happy and feel very confident in our pb. But wish he wouldn't appear annoyed when I ask him about tile or bubblers or pool finishes. Hopefully we'll still feel confident in a month. So far, due to the rain in Houston, they haven't even dug yet. Trying to be patient and wait my turn !

I'm using travertine bullnose coping on our pool which is pretty curvy. I think you've been on my pool thread so maybe you've seen it. I know we've "talked" on some pool threads - not sure which.

They're right. Travertine coping on curvy pools won't give totally smooth edges. And I see what they're talking about - not sure I noticed that in the million and one travertine coping pictures I've seen online. But I am noticing it now since the coping is being done now, and I still love it!!!

Another option is to use the stamped concrete/coping for a nice smooth edge. I think it's beautiful, but it might not suit your needs or tastes. It's Karyn's pool build thread. I'm not sure how to get her picture over here or her thread link. Let me know if you need more help to find it. Pay more attention to the edge on the pool side. The outside edge will be more hidden by the decking.

Here's a picture of my coping so you don't have to jump over to my build thread and hunt for it. Good luck! Suz.

- - - Updated - - -

It's me again. Let's see if this link will get you to her build thread so you can see the coping picture I mentioned. Look for her post #132. Good luck! Suz.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/91709-UPDATED-Concrete-Poured-on-SJ-Build-Pictures-included/page7

- - - Updated - - -

Well, the link I gave above doesn't seem to work. So here is the title of her thread. As of right now, her thread is on page 2, but that often changes. Again, look for post #132. Suz.
UPDATED - Concrete Poured on SJ Build - Pictures included

Suz, you're the best ! So helpful ! I will show your coping to my builder if you don't mind. It looks beautiful and is exactly what I want. Thanks ! How's your pool coming ? This rain is getting on my nerves ! Our pb is behind. Suppose to start digging June 1 but looks more like the next week ! Patience !!

I'm using travertine bullnose coping on our pool which is pretty curvy. I think you've been on my pool thread so maybe you've seen it. I know we've "talked" on some pool threads - not sure which.

They're right. Travertine coping on curvy pools won't give totally smooth edges. And I see what they're talking about - not sure I noticed that in the million and one travertine coping pictures I've seen online. But I am noticing it now since the coping is being done now, and I still love it!!!

Another option is to use the stamped concrete/coping for a nice smooth edge. I think it's beautiful, but it might not suit your needs or tastes. It's Karyn's pool build thread. I'm not sure how to get her picture over here or her thread link. Let me know if you need more help to find it. Pay more attention to the edge on the pool side. The outside edge will be more hidden by the decking.

Here's a picture of my coping so you don't have to jump over to my build thread and hunt for it. Good luck! Suz.

- - - Updated - - -

It's me again. Let's see if this link will get you to her build thread so you can see the coping picture I mentioned. Look for her post #132. Good luck! Suz.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...te-Poured-on-SJ-Build-Pictures-included/page7

- - - Updated - - -

Well, the link I gave above doesn't seem to work. So here is the title of her thread. As of right now, her thread is on page 2, but that often changes. Again, look for post #132. Suz.
UPDATED - Concrete Poured on SJ Build - Pictures included

I LOVE the travertine coping, I don't think I can even tell it isn't 'totally smooth' b/c regardless it has a beautiful soft feel and the color really works with your design. If I could have reigned in my spending a little earlier, I would have loved to do this as well!

Good luck magicruiser, can't wait to see your pictures! :goodjob:

Karyn, I totally agree. I'm going to push for the travertine. Don't know why our pb is determined to use flagstone??
But at this early stage I don't want to ruffle his feathers. Btw, I love the shape of your pool !! Beautiful !! My sister lives in Sewell,NJ.

One way to get the PB away from flagstone is to tell him you might consider going with a SWG system in the future. You wouldn't want to have flagstone if you did that. And who knows, you might really want to make the change at some point! (why am I so much better with other people's PBs than I am with mine?? LOL!!!). Take care. Suz.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.