Hillside washed into pool 3x since April...pool is a pond!

smhill

May 11, 2013
Arkansas
I've said it before and I'm saying it again...I would NEVER have built this pool this way. I inherited a mess that just continues to plague me. I literally have no clue how many times the hillside above my home has washed into my pool. It is usually at least once a year. It has happened 3x already this year. 3 times!!!

I live in a neighborhood built on a slope. Our street was not given a drainage ditch (the other two were). EVERY homeowner on my street has major drainage issues. One neighbor had a natural spring that bubbled up out of the ground in his backyard when we had heavy rains! Many have installed additional french drains to try to combat the problem. Not only does water stand at the foundations of our homes, but it also keeps mosquitoes close.

I am at my wits end with the hillside landing in my pool. What is my most economical fix? A french drain is going to run me over $2000 to have done. I have no diy ability, so I dare not try it myself. There are many trees and all the underground utilities are right beside the area where the drain would likely go, so there is that to consider also.

My neighbor had a pool built last year. Her builder built her pool up so that it was higher than the grade and they also put a rock lip that stands about 6 inches higher than the decking around the pool. I'm thinking 8 inches of rock on the side where it flows into the pool will keep the hill from washing right over the deck into the pool. It won't solve the drainage issue, but it will at least divert it from the pool.

Can someone advise? (I tried to attach a photo, but it says my 52kb image exceeds my 522.8 kb quota.)

Well, if you can't dig, it sounds like having a top-side diversion may be a viable option. You said you could not attach an image? Are you familiar with showing pictures on this site linked via another free site (i.e. Photobucket)? Many members do it that way now, and it's free. A pic or two may help other members give you more ideas. In any case, very sorry to hear about your troubles.

I had this at my previous property which was a walk out basement.

There are easy DIY solutions. I did dig myself a 4' round x 4' deep hole in the ground and filled with pebble stone and then placed topsoil and sod on top for each side.

I would recommend looking at options to divert your eves trough to the front of the house which would eliminate ALOT of the water coming down your run.

Good luck with your fix. I know how irritating this problem is.

Your video is good, but you really need a landscaping/ drainage pro to fix multiple sources of water.

French drains will work in some areas

You can also bury 50 gallon plastic drums filled with gravel and tie several together to help the water get down.

Also could cut the concrete around the pool and insert a drainage track to allow water to run away from the pool area, again into some type of permanent underground drainage system.

Also will the town or city help if the water is coming from a city street >> ?

Sorry for your problems... no easy fix as I can see multiple sources of water.....

B

You definitely need a landscaper to come in there if you do not want to tackle this yourself. It looks to me that there was no thought put into the sloping of the yard and in fact it looks almost like the water was diverted to run towards the pool. A couple simple swales and possibly a small dike built around the pool, out in the yard would divert almost all of it. I assume by the video that the area you filmed is the highest point in the yard and the opposite corner is the lower side? You need to have a couple shallow swales cut across the yard to that area. Also, at the beginning of the video it looks like a lot of water coming from a roof onto the patio. Is there no gutter there? That needs to be addressed too as that is a lot of water coming down.

I see gutters with downspouts taking the water away from the pool. Also a cute sitting wall to divert the water coming in under the fence.

It can be done. It will cost money and take time. If you want we can give you ideas for each area.

Kim

I watched the video and the good news is that your issues should be fixable with proper grading/trenching/planning. As others said, you probably need a professional to come in and take a look at how and where to divert all of the surface water. You have got to find a safe place to send it. You may not need a french drain. Do you have anywhere to send the water out of your yard? Where is the water leaving your yard to?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.