Pool Chemicals Left By Previous Owner

PH Plus is what we call soda ash. It is fine to use. It raises the PH a lot, and the TA some.

Thanks! That's helpful. I figured that it was an ok product I just wanted to be sure I wasn't in for some side effects of raising my TA way too much.

I also have a pail of 3" ProTeam High Tech Tabs: http://www.proteampoolcare.com/index.php/products/sanitizers/3-high-tech-tabs/

Is it worth having pucks that contain CYA in them? If I used them once in a while if going out of town etc how much CYA can a puck or two do to a pool in a few days??

Pucks are great for going out of town and as long as the bucket is closed tightly you should have no problem keeping them for a long time. Just make sure you keep in mind the CYA increase when you use them and verify your level occasionally to be sure you are keeping your FC high enough for your CYA.

Those specific tabs you linked will add CYA, but they also have the equivalent of borax in them so they should somewhat counteract the pH decrease that is sometimes seen when using trichlor tabs. They have no metal "enhancements" so that's a good thing. Perfectly fine to use when away from the pool, knowing that they'll raise your CYA a bit. In your pool, each tab will add about 2 ppm of CYA, assuming they are 8 oz. tabs. You can see this yourself in the Effects of adding chemicals at the bottom of the Pool Math page.

Some pucks are stabilized by calcium, these are called CalHypo tablets. They add chlorine and hardness (CH) to your pool. CH also will build up if you use these tablets over time. Plus CalHypo tablets break down/fall apart/get slimy so must be used only in a floater and NEVER combined with trichlor tablets. ALL solid forms of chlorine add something to your pool that can eventually cause problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.