SLAM- Chlorine question

May 21, 2015
Altus, Arkansas
I have been learning from the site and love all of the information! I am starting to SLAM.
I just got my Taylor k-2006 yesterday.
PH 7.4
TA 20
CYA 35
Before adding bleach (10% sodium Hypochlorite from Atwoods)

According to the Pool Math I needed to add 1 gallon+ 3quarts+ 2 cups bleach
We have a 21x52 above ground vinyl. According to a calculator it holds MAX 11,300 gallons, I used this amount for SLAM/chlorine purpose.

CYA/Chlorine chart said I needed 16ppm (I rounded CYA to 40) to SLAM

Problem: I added correct amount (1 gallon and 3+quarts) measured my Chlorine with kit and it only showed a level of 10ppm. ( I used 20 drops of regent 0871 before it turned clear, using the 10 mL sample. (20 x.5 = 10ppm)). We are opening the pool so it is green. I know there are CC's.

Is this the correct amount of chlorine or do I need to add more?:confused:

Welcome to TFP!

You should raise the TA to at least 60 as soon as practical.

A green pool consumes chlorine rapidly. It is hardly surprising that FC didn't get as high as you intended, some of it got used up right away. That is what happens when you are fighting algae. You want to test the FC level, and raise the FC level back to shock level as often as practical, as often as hourly (especially on the first day) to get ahead of the algae.

Could I raise the TA while adding chlorine today (using baking soda)? I was afraid of raising the PH too much. I will add 2 more gallons of chlorine.
Should I backwash before adding? I didn't want to lose any chlorine, but I want to keep sand filter as clean as possible.

Thanks so much. I have already drained 2/3 (CYA was 100 from a year of pucks), refilled pool, lowered PH from somewhere above 8. This site has walked me through it all!

Greetings Sleding! Probably goes without saying, but ..... yep .....start stocking-up on that bleach/liquid shock! :) You're going to use it. Also, when you get a moment, you might consider adding a signature to your profile with all of your pool info for easy reference later. It helps TFP folks evaluate your situation quickly and more accurately. See my signature or JasonLions in this thread as examples. Best of luck!

Thanks for the help.

I added 2 more gallons after initial post and brought TC? to about 25 :) I just retested (about 2 hours) and I am down to 19.5.

I am heading to store for more bleach!

I have pics from beginning and will post when I can figure out how to upload!

This was after refilling. It is shaded, but was dark green, almost black

This is after first 2 bottles. Some improvement.

Pool#3.jpg
Current. Lots of yuck settling. Keeping Chlorine up!

- - - Updated - - -

All this is one day !!!!

Attachments

• Pool#1.jpg
    Pool#1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Pool#2.jpg
    Pool#2.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
***update**

20 gallons of bleach, 2 weeks (3 days out of town ), about 10 inches of rain and a whole lot of testing...later..

Still needs a little clearing, keeping chlorine up until 'crystal'. Wanting to get DE, but have not been anywhere to get some.

No CCs <.5 as of yesterday

** update**

Got the idea of panty hose from this site.
After 2 days of using old panty hose, the pool looks amazing !!!

I cannot believe the amount of stuff they were catching: tiny bugs, loads of hair ( my 2 girls have waist length), fuzz, and some small white particles (dead algae I assume).

Trying to upload a pic, but not able to now. Thanks for all the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.