Newbie in Phoenix, AZ - Green Pool and BBB method

Bravo4

May 21, 2015
Phoenix
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Though I've been taking care of my pool for a few years, I'm still a novice. I used to just go to the pool store for testing and mostly just using shock and tabs to keep it clear (worked great in winter) - I try to keep things simple.

After reading this thread, I will buy a good test kit and really stay on it.

I have an in-ground non-salt-water diving pool, 35k gallons (built in '89), sand filter. I was just going to shock the heck out of it (pardon my ignorance). However, I understand there's more too it and will keep reading.

That said, can I use any components of the BBB method to get my pool from green to clean, or do I need to balance it out first?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP!

You want to start with making sure the equipment is working, and get/post a complete set of water test results. Things only occasionally need adjusting before SLAMing, but without current test results it is impossible to know where you are, and thus what might need adjusting.

The fancier test kits we recommend, TF100 and K2006, are well worth the investment. You can get started with a simpler WalMart kit, but the fancier kit will more than pay for it's self in giving more accurate results that allow you to avoid problems and fine tune you water balance.

Thanks!

Yes, will test and post results.

Do I really need the big Taylor K-2006 type test kits, or will the Walmart 6-way one suffice? I can do the latter today, the former will require a few days to order.

Yes, you really need the kit. I recommend the TF-100, but either will suffice. You need a kit with a FAS-DPD test to measure chlorine accurately and at a high level. Can't do a SLAM without it.

Thanks, all! :)

I'm getting the K2006 because I can have it here from Amazon on Saturday. They also donate 5% to my chosen charity using http://smile.amazon.com - that's cool.

So once I give the test results, will I be able to use the BBB method materials (Chlorine, Borax and Baking Soda & acid) to get things cleared up, or do I need to start with Chlorine and such? Really interested in the BBB method for cost saving.

FYI - I'm also reading TFPC for Beginners... I plan to shed my n00b status quickly :)

TF100 with Speedstir all the way. We have some challenges here in Phoenix, not least the pool store teenage mutant testers :shark:, and as everyone has said, get the best kit. I had the HTC kit before I got my TF100, I gave it (the HTC kit) to my buddy because he didn't want to spend the extra $$, but now he asks me to bring mine over. Boy does it cost him a lot of beer!!

Balanced water is a beautiful thing :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, all! :)

I'm getting the K2006 because I can have it here from Amazon on Saturday. They also donate 5% to my chosen charity using http://smile.amazon.com - that's cool.

So once I give the test results, will I be able to use the BBB method materials (Chlorine, Borax and Baking Soda & acid) to get things cleared up, or do I need to start with Chlorine and such? Really interested in the BBB method for cost saving.

FYI - I'm also reading TFPC for Beginners... I plan to shed my n00b status quickly :)

You'll be able to use those materials, yes, but the only thing you should buy at this point is liquid chlorine. You can check this Thread for ideas if you don't know where.

Once you get the kit and post the results here, we can guide you on what you'll need.

Good Luck!

Thanks all!

I put a lot of shock into the pool before I went on these forums, plus a bunch of chlorine pucks (I know, probably not wise, but it's worked before). The green algae is gone, but it's still cloudy.

So I read the entire booklet that came with the test kit, but I am having trouble:

With the chlorine test I used a 10ml sample of water and then added the 2 dippers of R-0870 (which turned the water pink). Then, you are supposed to add R-0871 until the water turns colorless; however, the water continued to maintain its pink hue, in fact I think the water became a slightly darker shade of pink as I add more drops. I re-tested this several times, same results.

Additionally, when testing for total alkalinity, first you add 2 drops of R-0007, then you add 5 drops of R-0008 in order to turn the water green. Yet, in my case the water turned a very diluted shade of translucent blue-green; then, after adding R-0009 to change the color from what was intended to be green to a red, for me the water transformed form the transparent blue-green previously mentioned to a clear yellowish color after about 9-10 drops (Although I did continue to add about 30 drops with the water still remaining yellowish).

Then for the calcium hardness test I added all the drops and follow all the instructions, and all went well as the water turned red to signify calcium hardness was present, but when I added the R-0012 the water was supposed to turn from that red to a blue, yet after 80 drops the water only turned from red to clear in varying shades.

After doing the CYA test, everything worked well except the instructions said, "Read tube at liquid level on back of comparator block. Record reading as PPM." There's nothing on the back of the testing tube at all. Am I missing something?

I need to do a pool renovation in the next 3-6 months and the pool will be emptied then anyway. I was hoping to use it until then, but should I just empty it now? I don't want to empty and fill it twice this year.

Thoughts? :)

Update: Looks like I just have *waaay* too much chlorine. Since we don't use it much and I just want to keep it from turning green, I figure I should just ride the chlorine out rather than counteract it since I've spent the $ on it. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
I guess I'm in the process of an n00b SLAM (and I didn't know what that was until I read about it when you mentioned it) please pardon my ignorance, still learning. :)

FC - off the charts (beyond measurement at this time)
CC - off the charts (both FC and CC are the same test, correct? Or maybe I misunderstood?)
PH - 7.1
TA - 90 ppm
CH - 350 ppm
CYA - 200 PPM

What should I do?

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.