OB - Question about adding Equalizer to skimmer

May 21, 2015
Loomis, Ca
New to site - Excited about finding it. First time pool builder (15 x 32 sport pool, no spa or water features). Plan on doing Dig, plumbing, electrical, tile & equipment install myself, contract out remaining items.
My pool designer had the main drains running back to skimmer using 3" line (told me for this size pool, that's standard design). I'm changing his design and running a dedicated 2.5" main drain back to equipment, then running a 2.5" from skimmer back to equipment. I'm also considering installing a 2.5" equalizer line off the skimmer to prevent the low water level issue from the skimmer.
Questions:
1. is this over kill?
2. Anyone install an equalizer line in their pool?
3. Can I just run one equalizer line, or do I need to have two lines coming into pool, just like main drains? My thinking is that the skimmer should act as one of the drain, with the single equalizer being the 2nd drain from the skimmer???

Expect many more questions coming, and I very much welcome any advise/experience anyone is willing to provide.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1. I like your design better, although 2.5" pipe is likely itself overkill. 2" pipe is usually sufficient with multiple suction lines. What is your plan for pump and filter?

2. The floor has been plumbed to the skimmer in both of my pools (not ideal). But many members have equalizer lines.

3. Just one line is fine from the 2nd port in the skimmer down and to the wall. This is just a back and usually there will be hardly any flow going through the equalizer line. You will need to have a float diverter installed under the skimmer basket for it to do anything.

Thanks for the input. My wife is handling the equipment, although we'll most likely go with a Pentair variable speed with cart filter. Still researching. Because I'm saving on plumbing labor, I thought I'd go a bit larger on the piping.
Also, because it's not a large pool, my designer only called out 2 returns with an open loop. I'm going to change that to 3 returns with a closed loop design. He says the trade off on 3 returns vs 2 will be less pressure in each return if I add a 3rd return. He also felt a open loop was fine with only 2 returns. Having a closed loop will add about 100 ft of 2" piping, but again, I'm saving on labor cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.