Lowering Total Alkalinity with a Pressure Washer

Jun 16, 2008
Indiana
I fooled around and drove my TA to about 240 this summer. I began working on TA a recommended here. I brought the PH down with muriatic acid and aerated to bring the PH back up. Given such a high TA it was going to take several cycles and aeration is just so dang slow.

As I read on the site, someone made the analogy of shaking up a carbonated beverage - but you can't shake a pool. I was topping off the pool one day and spraying the kids with the garden hose when I realized I was aerating the pool.

I decided to try "more power" using the pressure washer. Of course, I did this with nobody in the pool for safety. The presure washer aerates the heck out of the water!!! I blasted the water for several minutes pacing up and down the length of the pool. This technique seemed to very quickly lower TA compared to days of running fountains.

Comments? Was this a good idea? Anyone else ever try this?

12,000 gallon fiberglass pool

I was the one that gave the analogy to shaking up a bottle of club soda. Sounds like your pressure washer trick might be useful but I would be very careful if you run any kind of cleaners (besides chlorine) through your pressure washer to make REALLY sure any residue is washed out first.
Proof of the pudding will be that you caused the pH to rise faster than with your other methods of aeration. (Remember, adding the acid is what lowers the TA, aeration just makes the pH rise again without causing the TA to rise with it!)

I've never used anything in the pressure washer other than plain water. That's a good point.

The pressure washer generates an enormous amount of bubbles in the pool. It's very much like I'm shaking the whole thing.

Yes, I realize now after reading TFP that aeration raises PH so you can add acid which lowers TA and PH. Repeat until you have happy water. :)

I wish I understood that aeration raised PH at the start of the summer. That's how I got my TA so high. I was adding baking soda, borax, and washing soda to raise my PH, but I already had enough of that stuff in there.

Live and learn.

I'm closing the pool this weekend. I've just tested the water for closing and the TA is down to 80. Yipee! The pressure washer aeration worked for me. The chemistry is looking great, the water is crystal clear, and I'm ready for winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.