Will this cause a problem to add to my pool?

Jan 2, 2015
Palm Springs, CA
I recently had to have my pool bead blasted and refilled to remove heavy scale above the water line. My CH was 1100 before the pool drain and now is 175.

The guy that did the bead blasting gave me 4 bottles of this product, All-Clear Stain & Scale, and he said to put a bottle in every three months to help so the scale will be easier for me to clean. Our fill water has CH of 175 and TA of 150.

Anybody have any experience with this product?

Current test results:

FC 6.0
CC 0
pH 7.8
TA 130
CH 175
CYA 70
Salt 3500

Pictures:
IMG_0814_zps8632x15r.jpg

IMG_0815_zpsx1ojpwhx.jpg

Here is what the scale looked like before removal (White above water line). The tile is blue under that.
Pool%201_zpsbpvkcopl.jpg

Do you have a metals problem? I can't find the exact SDS (safety data sheet) listing the exact chemical make up of that product, but products like it with similar names are metal sequestrants containing phosphonic acids/HEDP. These products help keep metal ions in solution, rather than staining your pool. Not sure this product really does anything for preventing scale. Keeping your CH near recommended levels and not letting your pH get too high prevents scale.

Scale will only form when you have high CH and high pH. Since you have a pebble pool you need to keep your CH in the 250-350 range. Right now you don't need to add anything to prevent scale. Just raise the CH to the recommended range and don't use any calcium hypochlorite products. Eventually your CH may get over 400 from the fill water if you don't have much rain in your area. Once the CH creeps up, you can keep the pH 7.0-7.2 range to prevent scale from forming.

Nope, never have heard of it.

Get the chemistry under control and watch the CSI. It really isn't all that difficult to prevent scale up to about 800 CH. And I would hesitate to add any CH. Just from evaporation, you'll be in range quick enough. And I know it gets hot and breezy in Palm Springs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.